SS Brewtech Unitank VS Spike Unitank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akroessler

Reaction score
hello fellow brewers!

I am in the market for a 14g/ half barrel unitank and I've seen a lot from both spike and SS on their unitank lines. Many good things to say on both, and with pricing them out, with *all* the bells and whistles they both are about 50$ Of each other cost wise. I will be running a glycol system with the new tank, so it's just about preference at this point.

My question is for all of the brewers out there that have experience with either unitank. I am looking for pros and cons, stuff you wish you had or changed. Or just good things to say about them!

I am familiar with the SS plug and play and ease they offer as I have used their FTS products before but the 0% financing is intriguing from spike. Cus if I don't need to drop 1500$ upfront that's always a plus.

Everyone's opinions and experiences they share are appreciated! Cheers

I have a couple of the Spikes - CF10 and CF5. Both are excellent. The 2" TC port on the bottom can be both great and annoying. Great because it never clogs and annoying because it means you need to stock both 2" and 1.5" TC parts. I really like my Spikes, however.

The only bit I think is better on the SS Brewtech is that they are using standard 6" TC ports on top, while Spike uses a custom lid and sealing ring. While Spike is easier to clean by hand in that regard, you do have to worry that your replacement seals might one day not be stocked if Spike goes out of business.

I also looked very closely at the SS unitank since I already own a bunch of their stuff. What dissuaded me from them ultimately was the blowoff arm. It would be much harder to keep that nice and clean in event of a blowoff than the Spike version. I can easily slip my CIP ball under the Spike blowoff arm and include the arm in a CIP loop. However, you can't do that with the SS version (esp on 7 gal). That means you need to somehow manually soak that and get the nasties out. It also uses a ball valve, while Spike uses a standard TC ending there, making it easier to adapt any fitting (like pressure assembly).

Either way, you will be happy, but there are slight tradeoffs on both.

That is solid feedback, didn’t even think about the 6” TC on top. I know spike is always about custom orders so I wonder if I could work something out with them. Wouldn’t hurt to ask

Have my second brew in the SS 1/2 bbl unitank. wish there was a volume etching but otherwise it’s awesome. spent a while deciding between SS and Spike but ultimately decided on SS because of the included features and the FTSS system. i CIP but if i didn’t the spike would be easier to clean with the removable lid. but SS is rated to 30psi, tested at 60 (15psi max recommended) so that was a bit better than spike IMO.

i really haven’t seen them, and to be honest it’s almost impossible to see inside without taking off the 6” TC at the top. so volume etchings would be nice, but mostly impractical.

if its anything like the comparision between my ssbrewing conical and my stout conical the stout uni tank will be like a sherman tank parked next to a Prius. The stout equipment I have now is all highly polished making it more sanitary and easier to clean as well as being made of a heavier gauge stainless. my stout conical weighs like twice what the SS one does. that said they both work well and the seal on the top of my SSbrewing conical is a bit more refines than the stout conical but with stouts unitak having a real welded manway its hands down better. I have 3 stout 3bbl brite tanks which use the same type of manway and fasteners and they work very well.
I would consider this to be a pro grade unitank. in fact I ordered my 3bbl kettles directly from the manufacturer that makes this stuff for stout through alibaba (without knowing this at the time) and am very pleased.

I bought a Spike CF10 in March. I was doing the same thing, considering the SS Brewtech as well as the Spike. Now that I know what I got with the Spike, I can assess the comparison table HERE.

That table is from the SS Brewtech site, at least it links to it. It's inaccurate w/r/t some of the things the Spike conical has, which makes the SS Brewtech look better by comparison. It's simply wrong about some of the SPIKE things, for instance:

Spike DOES have available temp control both heating and chilling.
Spike DOES have an available carb stone (more on that below) and it doesn't need a valve
Spike DOES have an insulating jacket, it can be bought separately or as part of the temp control kit
Spike DOES have a PRV and a pressure gauge as part of the pressure manifold kit.

Other things I'd consider not important, such as digital vs analog thermometer; I don't use the analog one, I read the temp directly from the temp control unit.

Still other things WERE important, i.e., half batches. You can do half--5-gallon--batches with the Spike CF10; I couldn't find anywhere on the SSBrewtech site that said you could do half-batches with theirs, and in fact, it says theirs is for 10-gallon batches. But in a FAQ someplace SS Brewtech says you can do 5 gallon batches in their 14-gallon unitank, BUT the the thermowell is at about the 5.5-gallon mark. So temp control would be iffy, or you'd have to be sure you have 6+ gallons in there each time. Not designed to do this, whereas the Spike CF10 is.

That was probably the most important difference between them for me: the Spike CF10 was designed to allow for half-batches, whereas it's clear the SS Brewtech was not.

If you know what you want, the Spike approach is more modular, and you can potentially get your add-on from other sources, depending on what you want/need.

One of the things that made it difficult is I'd never bought anything like this, so what "features" are important and which are sales fluff, well, you can't know until after you've used it.

You also have to think about how you're going to use it; I have camlocks on my Blichmann Riptide and on my kettle; I needed to get fittings that would let me connect to my Spike using camlocks. That'd be an issue for the SS Brewtech too, but it's just something to consider. It's the old "What am I going to wish I'd done later on?" question.

Another thing is that the pricing is different; on the face of it, the Spike is much cheaper, but you'll have to add specific items to it to bring it up to where you want it. The SS Brewtech includes more of those things as standard. My Spike base unit is listed for $625; the SS Brewtech is $1099. But the SSB includes a chilling coil, a neoprene jacket, a bottom shelf, pressure gauge manifold, whereas I had to add that to mine.

Here was my initial order:

2x 1.5" Gasket for $1.00 each
1x 1.5" TC Clamp for $6.00 each
1x 1.5" TC x Barb for $12.00 each
1x Leg Extension Set for $32.00 each
1x Caster Kit for $30.00 each
1x 2" TC Sight Glass for $50.00 each
1x CIP Ball for $55.00 each
1x Racking Arm for $25.00 each
1x Gas Manifold - Gas Manifold Bundle for $75.00 each
1x TC-100 Bundle - CF10 / Yes Heater for $375.00 each
1x CF10 Spike Conical Unitank for $625.00 each

Subtotal : $1,287.00 USD

This included leg extensions and casters which are cheaper at Spike. But I also ended up buying the shelf in a subsequent order; I'd thought I'd just make my own, but then reason (probably) prevailed. It also doesn't include the Carb Stone, so with the shelf and carb stone, that was an extra $105. With some extra fittings, clamps, gaskets, and so on, I had another $100 in it.

There are some advantages to the more modular Spike approach, but the difficulty is knowing what you want and need. I bought the carb stone for $65 but I have not used it. This is reflective of having been a newb with these things. I have a lager going right now, and with about 8 points of gravity left to go, I sealed up the fermenter; the internal pressure right now is 12 psi, so that beer is mostly carbed. I'll pressure-transfer it to a keg and put it on gas to carb it the rest of the way. I'm trying to implement LODO techniques as much as possible, so that's why I'm not using beverage CO2 to carb it.

As a result, I haven't seen any particular reason to use the carb stone to carbonate my beer. But I bought it thinking that perhaps at some point I might want to do that after crashing, perhaps to speed up clearing the fermenter for another batch.

The carb stone can also be used to oxygenate the wort, but I haven't used it for that either; I have a long aeration wand and I just stick that down into the conical after racking and do it that way.

Did I need to spend that $65? Don't know yet. SSBrewtech includes a carb stone, but if you don't need or want one....

So with the extras (clamps, stuff like that), I'm around $1500 with this setup, but it's got everything I want, leg extensions, temp control kit, shelf, etc. That's the all-in price, excluding some sort of chiller.

I've seen posts that say after you add all the extras, the prices of these are very similar, so it comes down to what is important to you in design. From what I've seen, I think that's largely true. The tradeoff in design is that the Spike offering can be easily opened up and cleaned; the smaller opening on the top of the SS Brewtech might make that more difficult, but it also can handle a higher pressure.

I don't use a blowoff cane, so I'm not swayed by the fact the SS Brewtech has one. I use the CO2 coming off the fermentation to purge the keg into which that beer is going, and there's a Gas-Out post on the pressure manifold for just that purpose. It's an example of knowing what, exactly, you're going to want to do with it. If you've never used one before, that's hard to know, exactly.

In the end, I'm sure I could brew great beer with either unitank. Good luck with your choice!

The tradeoff in design is that the Spike offering can be easily opened up and cleaned; the smaller opening on the top of the SS Brewtech might make that more difficult, but it also can handle a higher pressure.

I don't use a blowoff cane, so I'm not swayed by the fact the SS Brewtech has one. I use the CO2 coming off the fermentation to purge the keg into which that beer is going, and there's a Gas-Out post on the pressure manifold for just that purpose. It's an example of knowing what, exactly, you're going to want to do with it. If you've never used one before, that's hard to know, exactly.

Great post, and great summary. Either way you go you won't lose out. Happy brewing!

not a huge deal but I hated the included sampling valve that came with the spike conical. I replaced it on the second batch.

PRLK-SV-BH.html
https://conical-fermenter.com/PRLK-SV-BH.html

Sometimes excess is better just because.

I got that for my Stout fermenter because it doesn’t come with a sample port and the alternatives weren’t cheap either. So I just went with top of the line since I was already spending as much as a used car.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collecti...opy-of-tri-clamp-1-1-2-3-8-barb-sampler-valve
I grabbed this one from SSbrewtech. The problem with Spike's for me is I could never find the sweet spot. I would only get a drop of liquid, even under pressure, or an uncontrollable flood. Sometimes I would get nothing coming out and 1/8th of a turn later have my glass full with 2 pints on the floor before I could get it closed.

That's a good sample valve too. Ball valves no bueno anywhere near a fermenter for so many reasons.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collecti...opy-of-tri-clamp-1-1-2-3-8-barb-sampler-valve
I grabbed this one from SSbrewtech. The problem with Spike's for me is I could never find the sweet spot. I would only get a drop of liquid, even under pressure, or an uncontrollable flood. Sometimes I would get nothing coming out and 1/8th of a turn later have my glass full with 2 pints on the floor before I could get it closed.

Seems like a reasonable reason. I wonder if you had a defective one. I've drawn a sample under pressure and while it can come racing out of the spout, on mine it's controllable. My problem, and I suspect it would be the case regardless of the sample valve, is the beer foams. I have to wait for it to subside to either check gravity or sample it. :)

Seems like a reasonable reason. I wonder if you had a defective one. I've drawn a sample under pressure and while it can come racing out of the spout, on mine it's controllable. My problem, and I suspect it would be the case regardless of the sample valve, is the beer foams. I have to wait for it to subside to either check gravity or sample it. :)

That's why commercial breweries have something like this to sample from carbonating brights: https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/accessories/products/pig-tail

Couldnt you just use a tc to ball lock adapter with a picnic tap on a short length of hose like you would from a keg? not as fancy but...

I really appreciate the information in this thread and others. I am basically ready to purchase either the Spike Conical of the SSB Unitank, however I've never seen either one in person, know how they look and feel "live", plus I'm not sure that any one of the major differences (i.e. ability to remove the lid like the Brew Bucket vs higher pressure) are deal breakers for me either way. So, I continue to ponder which one would work best - both the product AND the company, long term. I suppose that overall this "problem" is a good thing: the market has really competitive pricing and quality alternatives rather than one company running away with the prize.

Very happy with my ss unitank.

If you want to CIP, ss works great. I was surprised at how well it worked. It would be annoying to clean without, but not impossible. Spike would be much easier to clean if not doing CIP.

I personally like the lid much better on the ssbrewtech. Never have to worry about the lid gasket seating correctly or falling in. TC is the way to go.

Spike wins in batch size options. You can do 5 or 10 in theirs. Ssbrewtech will be o ly for the size you buy. For example, I do 10 gallon batches now exclusively. I keg 5 and bottle 5. I can bottle fully carved directly from the fermenter. Probably do that with either version but ... I can keg early and finish carbing in the keg if I want to. After draining 5 gallon s of liquid, the cooling coils will not maintain the remaining beer at 35 degrees. I need to keg and bottle at the same time. No biggie, just know that.

I like higher pressure rating if the Ss model. I regularly exceed 15psi when warm. I already had a ftss system, and ssbrewtech sold me individually just the heating pad to save me money over buying another full unit.

Ss does not have volume markings. I wish it did, but I'm fine without them. I got my unit to practice on a miniature version of a brewery system ... which wont have volume markings either way. I can tell volume from my brew kettle before I start pumping.

Brewers hardware sells a bunch of accessories that make triclamp fittings convenient. I dont have anything threaded on mine, including the blow off valve.

Nothing against spike, as its quality equipment, but for my preference I'd go Ssbrewtech again if I had to.

if its anything like the comparision between my ssbrewing conical and my stout conical the stout uni tank will be like a sherman tank parked next to a Prius. The stout equipment I have now is all highly polished making it more sanitary and easier to clean as well as being made of a heavier gauge stainless. my stout conical weighs like twice what the SS one does. that said they both work well and the seal on the top of my SSbrewing conical is a bit more refines than the stout conical but with stouts unitak having a real welded manway its hands down better. I have 3 stout 3bbl brite tanks which use the same type of manway and fasteners and they work very well.
I would consider this to be a pro grade unitank. in fact I ordered my 3bbl kettles directly from the manufacturer that makes this stuff for stout through alibaba (without knowing this at the time) and am very pleased.

Hi Augiedoggy, which Alibaba Vendor is this? I'm in Aus so makes far more sense from a shipping perspective (Portland OR vs China)

Last edited:
Getting closer to finally piling the trigger on a unitank. Probably going to go SS but I do have one question.

Has anyone put the Spike manifold on the SS unitank? I know there’s a PRV on that manifold which would need to be removed and plugged. Ideally I want to be able to send Co2 into the headspace while adding dry hops. I’m looking to do it through one of the 1.5” TC ports on the top and not the 3” port just to minimize O2 pickup.

Am I overthinking it? Would a T on the blowoff arm be an easier solution? Sorry just don’t know all the aftermarket solutions that are available out there.

Look at brewers hardware and get a few different 1.5 TC fittings. You can get a 3/8 inch barb fitting and hook your CO2 tank line directly to it and bubble directly from the dump port on the bottom.

Can also get a 1.5 TC with corney keg post and use a gas in ball lock instead of an open barb if you like that idea better.

Doing this will allow you to rouse dry hops a few times if you're into that. Just make sure the blow off valve is open.

I guess I might have been a little misleading in my post. I’ve seen the whole hop dropper setup and don’t really think it’s necessary. I just want to be able pump Co2 into the headspace while I dump hops through a different port that isn’t 3 or 4”. On the SS 14g Uni there are two 1.5” TC ports on the top along with the 3” that the PRV is attached to.

I don’t want to bubble through the liquid as that creates the potential to blow off aromatics.

The Spike manifold isn’t that expensive and would allow me to pump Co2 into the headspace via the ball lock post and dump hops through the port the blow off arm is attached to. Once hops are in reattach the blow off arm (that has been shut prior to removing)

However I didn’t know if a T attached below the ball valve on the blow off arm that you could connect Co2 to might be easier. Pump Co2 through the blow off and dump hops through the TC port that has the pressure gauge on it.

I happen to be doing a closed transfer to keg as we speak. Best to maintain head pressure through the blow off anyway as you dont have to open a port completely to install CO2.

I think this is what you're talking about anyway

Attachments

• 15594217310846042509713987118820.jpg
    15594217310846042509713987118820.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 388
And now about to CIP. Here's the before.

Attachments

• 20190601_161755.jpg
    20190601_161755.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 361
Here's during. FYI, Ssbrewtech sells a mini CIP and a regular CIP. I have the regular. It will NOT work with a riptide or similar pump.

I am using a 3/4 hp sump pump off Amazon.

Attachments

• 15594314458631833788895824951671.jpg
    15594314458631833788895824951671.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 358
And about 15 min later with cold water and a handful of oxyclean

Attachments

• 15594321664155544706258818166880.jpg
    15594321664155544706258818166880.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 406
  • 15594322102621507343138183946143.jpg
    15594322102621507343138183946143.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 431
I bought a Spike CF10 in March. I was doing the same thing, considering the SS Brewtech as well as the Spike. Now that I know what I got with the Spike, I can assess the comparison table HERE.

That table is from the SS Brewtech site, at least it links to it. It's inaccurate w/r/t some of the things the Spike conical has, which makes the SS Brewtech look better by comparison. It's simply wrong about some of the SPIKE things, for instance:

Spike DOES have available temp control both heating and chilling.
Spike DOES have an available carb stone (more on that below) and it doesn't need a valve
Spike DOES have an insulating jacket, it can be bought separately or as part of the temp control kit
Spike DOES have a PRV and a pressure gauge as part of the pressure manifold kit.

Other things I'd consider not important, such as digital vs analog thermometer; I don't use the analog one, I read the temp directly from the temp control unit.

Still other things WERE important, i.e., half batches. You can do half--5-gallon--batches with the Spike CF10; I couldn't find anywhere on the SSBrewtech site that said you could do half-batches with theirs, and in fact, it says theirs is for 10-gallon batches. But in a FAQ someplace SS Brewtech says you can do 5 gallon batches in their 14-gallon unitank, BUT the the thermowell is at about the 5.5-gallon mark. So temp control would be iffy, or you'd have to be sure you have 6+ gallons in there each time. Not designed to do this, whereas the Spike CF10 is.

That was probably the most important difference between them for me: the Spike CF10 was designed to allow for half-batches, whereas it's clear the SS Brewtech was not.

If you know what you want, the Spike approach is more modular, and you can potentially get your add-on from other sources, depending on what you want/need.

One of the things that made it difficult is I'd never bought anything like this, so what "features" are important and which are sales fluff, well, you can't know until after you've used it.

You also have to think about how you're going to use it; I have camlocks on my Blichmann Riptide and on my kettle; I needed to get fittings that would let me connect to my Spike using camlocks. That'd be an issue for the SS Brewtech too, but it's just something to consider. It's the old "What am I going to wish I'd done later on?" question.

Another thing is that the pricing is different; on the face of it, the Spike is much cheaper, but you'll have to add specific items to it to bring it up to where you want it. The SS Brewtech includes more of those things as standard. My Spike base unit is listed for $625; the SS Brewtech is $1099. But the SSB includes a chilling coil, a neoprene jacket, a bottom shelf, pressure gauge manifold, whereas I had to add that to mine.

Here was my initial order:

2x 1.5" Gasket for $1.00 each
1x 1.5" TC Clamp for $6.00 each
1x 1.5" TC x Barb for $12.00 each
1x Leg Extension Set for $32.00 each
1x Caster Kit for $30.00 each
1x 2" TC Sight Glass for $50.00 each
1x CIP Ball for $55.00 each
1x Racking Arm for $25.00 each
1x Gas Manifold - Gas Manifold Bundle for $75.00 each
1x TC-100 Bundle - CF10 / Yes Heater for $375.00 each
1x CF10 Spike Conical Unitank for $625.00 each

Subtotal : $1,287.00 USD

This included leg extensions and casters which are cheaper at Spike. But I also ended up buying the shelf in a subsequent order; I'd thought I'd just make my own, but then reason (probably) prevailed. It also doesn't include the Carb Stone, so with the shelf and carb stone, that was an extra $105. With some extra fittings, clamps, gaskets, and so on, I had another $100 in it.

There are some advantages to the more modular Spike approach, but the difficulty is knowing what you want and need. I bought the carb stone for $65 but I have not used it. This is reflective of having been a newb with these things. I have a lager going right now, and with about 8 points of gravity left to go, I sealed up the fermenter; the internal pressure right now is 12 psi, so that beer is mostly carbed. I'll pressure-transfer it to a keg and put it on gas to carb it the rest of the way. I'm trying to implement LODO techniques as much as possible, so that's why I'm not using beverage CO2 to carb it.

As a result, I haven't seen any particular reason to use the carb stone to carbonate my beer. But I bought it thinking that perhaps at some point I might want to do that after crashing, perhaps to speed up clearing the fermenter for another batch.

The carb stone can also be used to oxygenate the wort, but I haven't used it for that either; I have a long aeration wand and I just stick that down into the conical after racking and do it that way.

Did I need to spend that $65? Don't know yet. SSBrewtech includes a carb stone, but if you don't need or want one....

So with the extras (clamps, stuff like that), I'm around $1500 with this setup, but it's got everything I want, leg extensions, temp control kit, shelf, etc. That's the all-in price, excluding some sort of chiller.

I've seen posts that say after you add all the extras, the prices of these are very similar, so it comes down to what is important to you in design. From what I've seen, I think that's largely true. The tradeoff in design is that the Spike offering can be easily opened up and cleaned; the smaller opening on the top of the SS Brewtech might make that more difficult, but it also can handle a higher pressure.

In the end, I'm sure I could brew great beer with either unitank. Good luck with your choice!

Sorry to strum this older post up, but not sure I fully agree with or understand the ability to do 5G batches. I have tried using this for other fermentation of ciders etc. one of the things I don’t like is the thermowell as you mentioned is at ~5.5 G level. This makes it really not feasible to do an actual 5G batch... Unless I’m missing something.

I’m curious where the thermowell placement is on the Brewtech unitank. If it’s below 5G level, it’s definitely a step ahead of the Spike CF10 in have.

Very happy with my ss unitank.

If you want to CIP, ss works great. I was surprised at how well it worked. It would be annoying to clean without, but not impossible. Spike would be much easier to clean if not doing CIP.

I personally like the lid much better on the ssbrewtech. Never have to worry about the lid gasket seating correctly or falling in. TC is the way to go.

Spike wins in batch size options. You can do 5 or 10 in theirs. Ssbrewtech will be o ly for the size you buy. For example, I do 10 gallon batches now exclusively. I keg 5 and bottle 5. I can bottle fully carved directly from the fermenter. Probably do that with either version but ... I can keg early and finish carbing in the keg if I want to. After draining 5 gallon s of liquid, the cooling coils will not maintain the remaining beer at 35 degrees. I need to keg and bottle at the same time. No biggie, just know that.

I like higher pressure rating if the Ss model. I regularly exceed 15psi when warm. I already had a ftss system, and ssbrewtech sold me individually just the heating pad to save me money over buying another full unit.

Ss does not have volume markings. I wish it did, but I'm fine without them. I got my unit to practice on a miniature version of a brewery system ... which wont have volume markings either way. I can tell volume from my brew kettle before I start pumping.

Brewers hardware sells a bunch of accessories that make triclamp fittings convenient. I dont have anything threaded on mine, including the blow off valve.

Nothing against spike, as its quality equipment, but for my preference I'd go Ssbrewtech again if I had to.

At what liquid level does the thermowell sit? i.e. @ the 5G mark or lower. Basically what’s the minimum about of liquid is needed to have the thermowell submerged?

It may be a difference in design from the Chronical and the Unitank from SS, but the thermowell on my 14 gallon Chronical is certainly below the 5 gallon mark. I can do 5 gallon batches in it.

At what liquid level does the thermowell sit? i.e. @ the 5G mark or lower. Basically what’s the minimum about of liquid is needed to have the thermowell submerged?
The thermowell sits below the 5G mark but at such a low fill level the cooling coil will be mostly above the liquid level making cooling using glycol not very effective. It's probably good enough to control fermentation temperature but I wouldn't trust it to be able to reach lagering temperature.

The thermowell sits below the 5G mark but at such a low fill level the cooling coil will be mostly above the liquid level making cooling using glycol not very effective. It's probably good enough to control fermentation temperature but I wouldn't trust it to be able to reach lagering temperature.

This is on the SS Unitank?

Do you know exactly where the thermowell sits? 4.5, 4 etc.

Back