Ss BrewTech Chronical + Pump Cart = Ultimate CIP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does your Chugger nano have enough pressure? I have the CIP sprayball and a March Nano for my 1bbl Chronicals. Haven't fired anything up yet but thought I may have to go with a hardware store sump pump to get enough pressure for the Spray ball. Also how are your seals and hoses holding up to the acids?

I use a $50 1/3HP submersible pump + $40 bucket heater + CIP ball to recirculate hot PBW through my 1BBL Chronical. Lots of pressure, it can fill the fermenter faster than it can drain, so I I need to throttle back the pump periodically to let the bucket refill. This is an open system, so there can be some splashing of the PBW, but I don't think that's a safety issue. It cleans very well except for the yeast scum line and sometimes yeast scum on the coils. Not perfect but still worth it to me. The pump appears to have a thermal switch, because it shuts off if PBW gets much above 150F.

I read concerns about effects of acid on the submersible pump, so for the acid wash I use a Chugger MAX nano pump + CIP ball. Not nearly as much power, but since this is a closed, balanced system, no worries about splashing acid and I can leave it run unattended.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a $50 1/3HP submersible pump + $40 bucket heater + CIP ball to recirculate hot PBW through my 1BBL Chronical. Lots of pressure, it can fill the fermenter faster than it can drain, so I I need to throttle back the pump periodically to let the bucket refill. This is an open system, so there can be some splashing of the PBW, but I don't think that's a safety issue. It cleans very well except for the yeast scum line and sometimes yeast scum on the coils. Not perfect but still worth it to me. The pump appears to have a thermal switch, because it shuts off if PBW gets much above 150F.

I read concerns about effects of acid on the submersible pump, so for the acid wash I use a Chugger MAX nano pump + CIP ball. Not nearly as much power, but since this is a closed, balanced system, no worries about splashing acid and I can leave it run unattended.

I use the same kind of setup - submersible in a bucket with 3 gals of water. It works great. I have also been using it with the acid wash and at that concentration of acid, there hasn't been any issues in the last year and many washes later. Even if it did eventually die, submersibles are so cheap in relation (i.e. I think I paid ~$40 for the pump - shipped!).

How is this pump holding up for you? Does it do well with heated solutions? Thanks.

I took a couple month hiatus while working on my basement so have only used it once. I'll be cleaning two fermenters on Friday.

I didn't heat the solution but I used my tap water which comes out at about 130F.

I took a couple month hiatus while working on my basement so have only used it once. I'll be cleaning two fermenters on Friday.

I didn't heat the solution but I used my tap water which comes out at about 130F.

Quick update, I cleaned out two chonicals last week using this pump and it continues to work great. I picked up some milk stone remover from a local dairy supply and it cleaned some old beer stone out with a simple wipe after running the solution through the CIP setup.

Before:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498881730.250434.jpg

After:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498881746.494591.jpg

I have a similar set up with a 42 gallon stout conical and a big march pump. I had problems with the conical developing a vacuum as the hot cleaning solution cooled. Ultimately, I drilled two 1/8" holes in the triclamp flange of the spray ball. This allowed pressure equalization without any leaks. YMMV.

Great idea Steve. I tried a couple of things such as removing the clamp while running the pump and also periodically breaking the seal. Just running the pump without the clamp in place kept everything running smoothly without a vacuum however, I would feel a lot more comfortable using a clamp and drilling the 2x holes as you described.

Could someone please post a few more pics as the pics from starting post don’t appear? I just want to clarify cart build specifically how many washers, nut sizes, & whatnot. Thank you in advance!

Could someone please post a few more pics as the pics from starting post don’t appear? I just want to clarify cart build specifically how many washers, nut sizes, & whatnot. Thank you in advance!

Here's the only one I could find from a Google image search. It appears the OP hasn't been around these parts in quite some time.

19f14974328208fd1f8f1b05b9bf3d97.jpg

Here's someone else's version of the setup:

woxford-chronical-half-bbl-cip-cart-1024x768.jpg

http://hoplauncher.woxford.com/2016/07/29/testing-out-the-chronical/

That's because mfabe turned out to be an SS employee. He made a new account where he actually discloses that; SS_Michael. He hasn't been around in awhile either by the looks of it. Too busy focused on the large big money equipment to pay us home brewers any attention.

That's because mfabe turned out to be an SS employee. He made a new account where he actually discloses that; SS_Michael. He hasn't been around in awhile either by the looks of it. Too busy focused on the large big money equipment to pay us home brewers any attention.
Hah. Yeah, figured that. Can't think of too many people who would just sink so much damn money into their stuff.

So I've basically fudged a version of this together but having a bit of an issue with it.

I have two sparkly new SS Brewtech BME 14 gallon chronicals. Added 4oz of PBW to 5 gallons of hot-as-I-could-get-it tap water (about 120), poured into unused conical, hooked everything up, and fired the pump. (The pump I have is awesome!) Let it run for about 10 minutes. Drained the PBW into a bucket, then rinsed the conical with warm water, then added 5 gallons of Star San, hand rinsing the inside with a soft cloth. Drained the star san, and let dry.

Following morning, check on them, and there's a ton of white residue on the conical walls (like the PBW wasn't rinsed properly) and more worrying, what can only be described as white sticky balls around the bottom half.

I'm thinking that eyeing the Acid step to the procedure would do a lot to neutralize the PBW's alkalinity, as well as prevent that buildup happening. Unfortunately, here in California I can't find the damn stuff anywhere and the couple of places I have found them online don't seem to want to ship it. (Hazmat)

Any feedback or suggestions? I've seen some folks recommend citric acid, but seems like a spendy way to go and requires soaking to repassivate? (4.5oz per gallon?)

What about a dairy cleaning acid? I believe Tractor Supply has it, if there is one near you.
There is actually, less than a mile from me. But unfortunately they don't have any, nor does a single TSC within a 100 mile radius of me!

I have a similar set up with a 42 gallon stout conical and a big march pump. I had problems with the conical developing a vacuum as the hot cleaning solution cooled. Ultimately, I drilled two 1/8" holes in the triclamp flange of the spray ball. This allowed pressure equalization without any leaks. YMMV.
FWIW, do NOT do this... I did, and it turned my CIP setup into Old Faithful. While cooling solution will create a vacuum, the initial hot solution is turning to steam, and creating pressure inside the Chronical. As it cools, it removes that pressure. I was noticing it and would "burp" the lid every five minutes or so, but tried this to create a more "set it and forget it" scenario. Got it sorted on the drill press, connected it back up, fired the pump, and hot PBW was shooting 12" into the air through each hole.

I now have a new 3" triclamp fitting on the way...

(Please note, am not blaming @stevehaun for this, he offered it as a suggestion to all and prefaced it with a YMMV - did this of my own accord)

4rixCiY.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, do NOT do this... I did, and it turned my CIP setup into Old Faithful. While cooling solution will create a vacuum, the initial hot solution is turning to steam, and creating pressure inside the Chronical. As it cools, it removes that pressure. I was noticing it and would "burp" the lid every five minutes or so, but tried this to create a more "set it and forget it" scenario. Got it sorted on the drill press, connected it back up, fired the pump, and hot PBW was shooting 12" into the air through each hole.

I now have a new 3" triclamp fitting on the way...

(Please note, am not blaming @stevehaun for this, he offered it as a suggestion to all and prefaced it with a YMMV - did this of my own accord)

4rixCiY.jpg
Could install a very cheap ss brewtech pressure relief in the hole upside down.

Sorry about that Ubermick. My CIP system looked nearly identical to yours except my conical was 40+ gallons and my march pump & hoses were heftier. Mine never spilled a drop of PBW solution. I am not sure how to explain your experience.

Could install a very cheap ss brewtech pressure relief in the hole upside down.
That’s an idea - one going each way, so when pressure builds in there it burps, and as it cools and creates a vacuum, the second valve allows air in to equalize?

Sorry about that Ubermick. My CIP system looked nearly identical to yours except my conical was 40+ gallons and my march pump & hoses were heftier. Mine never spilled a drop of PBW solution. I am not sure how to explain your experience.
Ah, jays no worries - like I said, far from your fault and at no point did you suggest that everyone go out and do it. I took a stab for my setup, and it didn't work out. There's a ton of variables involved - strength of the pump spinning the ball, the position of the ball inside the conical (mine is JUST below that flange, so anything coming straight up out of the ball in hindsight would be an issue), the type of CIP ball being used, etc.

But for those using the SS Brewtech CIP setup in the 1/2bbl or 14gal chronicals, it's something I'd avoid doing.

Ordinarily, I'd just plug those holes with some JB Weld or something, or a nut/bolt/o-ring, but since I do the Acid 5 step, I REALLY don't want the risk of a patch failing and having that stuff spraying all over my garage and gear.

I made this setup as well and it's not working well. I have 3 conicals. One is a 1/2 BBL spike, one is a 15 gallon brewershardware, and the other is a SS brewing 7 gallon. I used this the other day on the SS conical and it didn't clean well at all. It just foamed up a bunch on the inside of the conical until I took the clamp off and kept burping it. Even then it didn't clean very well. I still had chunks of krausen and hops stuck to the walls. Is this pump(chugger max nano) just not powerful enough? I'm half tempted to buy a 1hp brewery pump on a cart to use for this as well as a Sankey keg washer I'm building(using Colorado boys example on YouTube).

When I was using my 1/3 HP submersible pump in a bucket, it worked really well. But I'd like to start using acid and that pump can't handle it.

Latest posts

Back