SRM Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_tx_kbb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I brewed a 10 gallon batch of Cream Ale for a BMC type crowd BBQ.
I did a 90 minute boil to remove the DMS. I use Beersmith and the total efficiency was set for 72%....but I hit 80%(not a bad thing, just need to note that for next time)

The software predicted 4.3 SRM....but after pumping it into my fermenters, it looks like I'm around 8 or 9 SRM.

I used an RO an spring water combination. My recipe is below.

Can anyone help me understand why my wort is so dark compared to my recipe/software predictions?

Thanks a million !

20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 83.30%
2 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) 8.30%
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 4.20%
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 4.20%
3.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 5.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 2.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.3 IBUs

It always looks much darker in the fermenter due to the volume, take a hydrometer sample to check the true color.

90 minute boil. A 90 minute boil is often suggested for a beer with a lot of Pilsener malt because it drives off the DMS but your recipe has no Pilsener malt in it. Longer boils will darken the beer from the Maillard reaction. As mentioned by Chickypad, beers also look darker in the bigger containers too as you are looking through more beer so more light gets absorbed.

I used 2 pounds of flaked corn...lots of DMS. Also my sampling was from my hydrometer test flask reading....not my carboy.

So, if the Maillard reaction the answer to my question I suppose there will be significant flavor changes that weren't anticipated. Probably better to use flaked rice in the future for my recipe instead of flaked corn.

Any other comments or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I make a fair number of tripels, golden strongs, blondes, etc. with pilsner boiling them all 90 min and they come out very pale. I guess my other thought would be pH, are you actually measuring it? Even with my fairly low alkalinity water I still need to include a little acid malt to get the pH right. Just wondering if yours could be high, which I understand can accelerate maillard reactions (reference from Kai's site, see pic about 2/3 the way down the page, big difference with just a short boil).

Back