Squeezing Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobluedc

Reaction score
I've got about 10 extract/specialty grain batches under my belt and decided to try a small 1 gallon all-grain batch just to get the feel for all-grain. I mashed approx 2.5 lbs in a bag in 2.5 quarts of water. Stirred every 10 minutes or so, raised the temp to 170 while stirring and then lifted the bag onto a collander and poured 1 gallon of 170 degree water over the grains and then proceeded as normal.

After reading through some more BIAB threads, I'm seeing that there is a fair amount of discussion regarding grain bag squeezing methods. As an extract brewer, I thought I was always told not to squeeze steeped specialty grains because that would release tannins. Is this a case where it's different with all-grain for some reason, or do some people just squeeze while others don't?

Also, once I poured the hot water over the grains creating wort, should I have poured that wort over the grain bag again to extract more sugar?

I was distracted and forgot to take a OG reading, so I'm not sure what my efficiency looks like. I'm guessing that it's low since my process isn't very good yet, but the fermentation was chugging along less than 5 hours after pitching, so at least I know it'll be some sort of beer when it's done.

Thanks!

I agree that there is potential for tannin extraction while squeezing the wort out of your grain sack.That pre-boil gravity would of helped determine your extraction eff.

Sparging with your wort is only going to increase the sugar concentration and thus make it harder to gain extraction from the grain bed. You should still end up with beer.

Squeeze away. The BIAB crowd all squeeze like crazy. I squeeze all the time with no ill effects.

Sorry guys, but you're just not strong enough to get tannins out of your grain with mechanical force alone. The major factors in extracting tannins from your grains' husks is temperature and pH. Squeeze away, sir.

From what I have read, daskin is dead-on right. Only temperature and PH will extract tannins.

I mash (BIAB) in a round cooler. I do small batches w/maybe 4.5 lbs of grain. When the hour is up I lift the bag and slip a colendar between it and the cooler. I then place the cooler on the floor and using 2 coffee cups I press down on the grain bag w/all the weight I can manage. Do this until I get no more dripping. Nuttin' wrong w/ squeezing the grain.

Glad I found this thread. I'm a new BIAB'er, and I was scared away from squeezing due to many threads I've read. After reading this I'ma gonna squeeze 'em! Thanks all! :mug:

Glad I found this thread. I'm a new BIAB'er, and I was scared away from squeezing due to many threads I've read. After reading this I'ma gonna squeeze 'em! Thanks all! :mug:

If you have trouble "squeezing" try "pressing" :) Since the wort is so hot it's hard to squeeze w/your hands. I use to rotate the bag holding the excess so the bag got "smaller" and "smaller" squeezing the liquid out of a smaller area, put it was hard on the bags which were developing holes. So I moved to the Coffee Cup Press method.

If you have trouble "squeezing" try "pressing" :) Since the wort is so hot it's hard to squeeze w/your hands. I use to rotate the bag holding the excess so the bag got "smaller" and "smaller" squeezing the liquid out of a smaller area, put it was hard on the bags which were developing holes. So I moved to the Coffee Cup Press method.

I wear heavy-duty rubber kitchen gloves when I handle the grain bag. It makes the heat and sticky mess way more manageable..

Latest posts

Back