Squeezing BIAB with a mop bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzix

Complete Idiot
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A little trick we use in distilling is to squeeze grains through a mesh bag in a wringer mop bucket.
I've started doing this for my BIAB brewing to maximize collection. You can sparge the bag while it's in the wringer then squeeze it all out. For big grain bills, I rotate the bag to squeeze portions at a time. I know it's another step and more cleaning, but when you're having fun on brew day...
Of course use a new plastic wringer bucket and keep 'er clean.
Works for me so far, but I'm new to brewing and open to criticism on this approach.
mop bucket.jpg

Like the idea it's better than my colander and hand technique... It gets very hot

I learned to use kettle lids for squeezing the bag. I only burned my hand once, so I'm a very fast learner.
Ah I've gone with 1 kettle (1.7l) of hot to 1l of cold after which makes it bearable

A little trick we use in distilling is to squeeze grains through a mesh bag in a wringer mop bucket.
I've started doing this for my BIAB brewing to maximize collection. You can sparge the bag while it's in the wringer then squeeze it all out. For big grain bills, I rotate the bag to squeeze portions at a time. I know it's another step and more cleaning, but when you're having fun on brew day...
Of course use a new plastic wringer bucket and keep 'er clean.
Works for me so far, but I'm new to brewing and open to criticism on this approach.
View attachment 566658
Brilliant!

Brew on :mug:

Back