Squeeze hop bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For my first biab yesterday i thought it would be cleaner to use hop bags during the boil. I forgot to pinch or squeeze the hop bags after the boil and just threw them away.

Save for a bit of wort, will the hop bags hold in the hops alpha acid? The wort smelled hoppy so who knows until i put it in the keg and drink. Should i squeeze next time?

I never squeeze the bag unless I'm doing a dry hop. I always use the bags for boiling. It keeps my kettle trub down quite a bit. We haven't noticed anything lacking in flavor.

I just finished a BIAB and got quite a bit of wort out of the hop bag.

I was more concerned with not getting everything available from the late additions than I was about volume though.

I'm a squeezer, or it's really more of a hang and let it drain approach. I just clip it to the side of the kettle above the wort level for a bit then end up squeezing the last little bit out.

if you hang it, It should drain completetly eventually, I use a hopspyder and the hops are one solid dry clump after I have drained my kettle.... no squeezing involved.

I tend to do something similar to texaswine, let it hang a bit then press it against the side of the kettle lightly to speed things up a little although sometimes I just pull it.

Hops tend to absorb about 0.0365 gal/oz more or less depending on pellet composition, wet leaves, or dry leaves.

Latest posts

Back