Spunding Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations on a spunding valve? I bought one off amazon that worked alright but it seemed over priced ($60) and only went up to 15 PSI on the guage. I'd like to purchase an additional one but not at that price and preferrably one that can go to higher PSI on the guage. Thanks!

Replace the gauge with a 30 PSI one. 60 is over kill and less accurate.

Just stay away from those china-things which has a small knob or a screw at the end. They are highly inaccurate.

95F! Interesting, what is your experience? Which yeast do you use at such high temp?

Unfortunately, he will likely end up replacing the valve too. I had some pre-assembled ones with 60 psi gauges but they wouldn't even hold 30 psi so I had to replace the valves on all of them.

Cheap ones? I own two china-cheapos, they are now disassembeled in case I need some of the parts and never in use. I bought a used Kellerfee and haven't looked back after I got it sealed.

95F! Interesting, what is your experience? Which yeast do you use at such high temp?

Kveik yeast. Right now I have Hornindal from Escarpment Labs and Hothead from Omega (I split batches).

I have done Omega's Hornindal and Voss at these temps using spunding before and went G2G in 5 days. Those ones were pitched on cakes from a previous batch and actually fermented out in about a day. I did a diacetyl test on day 3 and it came up clean but I gave it an extra day anyhow, crashed on day 4 and was drinking perfectly carbed and tasty brew on day 5.

I have had good luck pushing all 3 of the Omega Kveik strains into the 90's. This is my first time with the Escarpment labs one but the gravity sample tasted promising. I even did a split batch with Hothead at 68F and 90F+ for comparison. As you might imagine, the 68F batch took longer to ferment but the results were indistinguishable to my tastes.

Cheap ones? I own two china-cheapos, they are now disassembeled in case I need some of the parts and never in use. I bought a used Kellerfee and haven't looked back after I got it sealed.

Yea, $30 for the complete spunding valve assembly from Austin Homebrew Supply. I don't think they offer it anymore. It was advertised as a 60 psi gauge but they initially sent me 15 psi gauges. Customer service was great and sent out the 60 psi ones as soon as I contacted them. But, when I put those on, found out the valve wouldn't stand up to it. I ordered those $10 valves from Amazon and I'm in business :)

Kveik yeast. Right now I have Hornindal from Escarpment Labs and Hothead from Omega (I split batches).

I have done Omega's Hornindal and Voss at these temps using spunding before and went G2G in 5 days. Those ones were pitched on cakes from a previous batch and actually fermented out in about a day. I did a diacetyl test on day 3 and it came up clean but I gave it an extra day anyhow, crashed on day 4 and was drinking perfectly carbed and tasty brew on day 5.

I have had good luck pushing all 3 of the Omega Kveik strains into the 90's. This is my first time with the Escarpment labs one but the gravity sample tasted promising. I even did a split batch with Hothead at 68F and 90F+ for comparison. As you might imagine, the 68F batch took longer to ferment but the results were indistinguishable to my tastes.

Have you noticed anything regarding the pressure? These yeasts have never seen pressure before.

I normally keep the pressure ~10 psi until I get the dry hop in. I learned my lesson the first time I tried to open a keg at 30+ psi. It's like shaking up a can of beer and popping the top. With that batch that fermented in a day, the dry hop went in at around 17 hrs in. So, they're really only seeing the high end of pressure for the last 5-10 points.

I have only been using this method for a few months but so far I have been very pleased with the results.

Does anyone have recommendations on a spunding valve? I bought one off amazon that worked alright but it seemed over priced ($60) and only went up to 15 PSI on the guage. I'd like to purchase an additional one but not at that price and preferrably one that can go to higher PSI on the guage. Thanks!
what kind of fermentation tank are you using that it can go higher than 15 psi safely?

EDIT nevermind I see its for a keg, most fermentors are only rated to 15psi which is likely why.

I bought mine complete with shipping for $23 shipped but it also only goes to 15 psi and yes its finicky to get set right vs a better one from someone like brewhardware.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot...426.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1dce4c4dofFieJ

Last edited:
what kind of fermentation tank are you using that it can go higher than 15 psi safely?

EDIT nevermind I see its for a keg, most fermentors are only rated to 15psi which is likely why.

That plastic Fermentasaurus fermenter is rated for 2.4bar/36 psi when used with their pressure kit. I expect some people would be looking for higher range gauges for these as well as kegs.

That plastic Fermentasaurus fermenter is rated for 2.4bar/36 psi when used with their pressure kit. I expect some people would be looking for higher range gauges for these as well as kegs.
good point but ive never seen anyone comment about actually using that one.. most pressurizing thier fermenters are using stainless unitanks which I was pretty sure are only rated to 15psi. or kegs..

I was just reading a thread on carbonating the other day and that 15 psi number was stuck in my head as it comes up a lot.
https://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?44882-Another-Stupid-Carbonation-Question

I guess a lot of probrewing stuff isnt rated for over 15 psi either but stout does make pressure relief valves in both 15psi and 30

Last edited:
Back