Spunding Routine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvandroLS

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My name is Evandro, from Brazil, and I've been lurking around this forum for a while.

I have a question about spunding. I am going to start doing it on my next batch. I will ferment in a fermizilla. My question is if I can follow this process:

- Ferment my ale at 64-65
- When is a couple platos left, I start spunding and set the pressure for 30 psi
- Finish primary fermentation
- Cold crash it
- Closed transfer to keg

Cheers!

I ferment in kegs and do exactly this. You will find the transfer easier if you use your spunding valve on the serving keg to provide some pressure in the keg during transfer. Otherwise you will get a lot of foam.

Welcome!

If you can, raise your internal temperature at this time by 3F for a diacetyl rest. This is also a great time to toss in dry hops. Maybe try just capping the fermenter and measuring the pressure as it rises naturally without adding CO2 pressure on the first try. That way you'll know how much pressure you can build naturally dependent on how many points you have left. Monitor your pressure relative to your CO2 absorption chart to avoid overcarbing the beer too.

🍻

So
Welcome!

If you can, raise your internal temperature at this time by 3F for a diacetyl rest. This is also a great time to toss in dry hops. Maybe try just capping the fermenter and measuring the pressure as it rises naturally without adding CO2 pressure on the first try. That way you'll know how much pressure you can build naturally dependent on how many points you have left. Monitor your pressure relative to your CO2 absorption chart to avoid overcarbing the beer too.

🍻
So it would be something like that

- Primary fermentation @ 64F
- end of primary fermentation: Toss hops, raise temp by 3F, spund to 30 psi
- Cold crash
- Closed transfer to keg with a spunding valve to keep some pressure inside the serving so the beer doesnt foam so much?

You don't need a couple degrees Plato to spund, 0.5°P is already plenty.
Dacetyl rests when brewing ales are just pointless.

I've just adapted them into my standard brewing practice. Seems simple enough when dry hopping anyways and having beers finish out in 7-10 days.

So basically, you would just finish fermentation spund it crash it and drink it?
How long would it take G2G?

Since this was posted in the low oxygen forum - anyone using low oxygen techniques is transferring to serving keg with residual extract and completing the spunding within that keg, not the fermenter. A high proportion of us also use the clear beer system to draw down from the top of the keg for serving.

Since this was posted in the low oxygen forum - anyone using low oxygen techniques is transferring to serving keg with residual extract and completing the spunding within that keg, not the fermenter. A high proportion of us also use the clear beer system to draw down from the top of the keg for serving.
I realized that reading the other threads, and I was wondering what is the actual benefit from spunding in fv and then closed transfer x spunding in serving keg

Because the actively fermenting yeast can take up the small amount of oxygen left in the purged keg. Finished beer cant do that unless you have some other sort of antioxidant.

Back