Spruce Wild Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteater8

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY3787 + Dregs
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 @ ambient temp
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 to 24 months @ ambient temp
Tasting Notes
Bright refreshing spruce on a refreshing golden wild ale base.
This beer is like walking through the forest. Huge spruce flavor, very prevalent without being harsh or astringent in any way. Bright and refreshing.

This post is more about getting good spruce character into a beer than it is about this particular recipe. I will explain more in the spruce technique section below. It was inspired by some incredible spruce and fir sours I've had from de Garde and Ale Apothecary.

Specs:
5.5 gallons
O.G. = 1.054
F.G. = 1.003
ABV = 6.5%

Grain:
9.25 lb 2 Row
1.70 lb Wheat
0.40 lb Vienna

Hops:
1.5 oz Fuggle 60 min

Yeast:
WY3787 High Gravity Trappist
Dregs from various bottles (Sante Adairius, Orval, Jolly Pumpkin, & Tilquin)
All added together on day 1

Fermentation:
I kept this beer in the same primary carboy for about 27 months before I decided to "spruce it up". The fermentation length depends entirely on how the character in the beer is developing. It likely would have been just as good a lot sooner, but with other beers in the pipeline, this is when I got to it.

Adding spruce:
I primarily used Norway Spruce tips, but also a little bit of Oregon Fir tips. I foraged the tips in May while they were somewhat large but still very soft. I used around 2 full sandwich baggies of spruce tips per gallon of beer.

Once I had foraged the tips, I decided to use two separate methods of imparting their flavor in the beer. Most of what I read online said to use them in the boil, which wasn't an option since my beer was already brewed!

1) Dry sprucing: I just tossed them right into the carboy. I think I used somewhere around 25% of my spruce tips to dry spruce, and based on samples I don't believe I got a whole lot of flavor using this method.

2) Gin tincture: For the other 75% of my spruce tips, I put them into a mason jar and covered them with just enough gin to completely cover them. I would shake the mason jar every so often. After 1 week, I strained the tincture and threw away the spruce tips. Then I put the same tincture back into a mason jar with fresh spruce tips for another week. This resulted in a very potent, very sprucey tincture. I ended up adding about 1.5 oz of tincture per gallon of beer. The gin tincture is what made this beer great!

I could see this sprucing technique working really well in a variety of beers, but I think the spruce flavor really shines beautifully in a wild ale. A brown ale base could work well as a more wintery spruce wild ale. I could also see adding some citrus zest, dry hops, berries or herbs to compliment the spruce flavor as well.

W3kHzwE.jpg

Enjoy!

Really cool, and looks delicious. Collected a bunch of spruce tips this spring and now they're just sitting in my freezer. Might try to blend up something similar to the de Garde/Side Project brew Baeis & Arbes.

I might try this soon. my last spruce beer ended up infected.. then some bug infected 3 batches after. i want a round two.

Very cool - I've been thinking of doing a spruce sour - glad I stumbled across this!

I made a wit with tips from the blue spruce in my yard. It's a unique flavor. I pulled off a gallon to try souring. It's still slumbering nine months in. I was worried that the spruce tips might inhibit souring but doesn't seem to be an issue.

Back