spring loaded peristaltic pump proto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumbler

Reaction score
SWMBO says it's time to post.

I've wanted a pump for quite a while. But couldn't decide between buying a March pump or trying to build one myself. I liked the idea of only having a short piece of tubing to clean and not having to worry about priming or running dry. I read the other peristaltic pump threads and went for it.

Here is my proto-type.
P-Pump_finished.JPG

The housing is made of 6 layers of 3/8 plywood. It has 3 roller arms with 2 on the tubing at any time. The springs are located at the elbow of the arms. It works in either direction, but I use it counterclockwise.

I geared a 1725 motor down to 45 RPM to give a pumping volume of 1 Gal./Min. through a 3/8" high temp silicone tubing.
P-Pump_Motor.JPG

I tried to find out how much lift it has but I gave up after 16FT.

I've used to 6 times now and still modifying it. So far it seems to be holding up, but time will tell.

I have more construction pics if anyone is interested.

I used to today. The following is a live action shot pumping a Porter from the boil kettle through a 25FT pre-cliller, through a Shirron plate chiller, into a Korney ready for fermenting. From 212F to 60F in less that 5 Min.

Pump_6.JPG

Not sure what is up with the forum but I'm not seeing the pictures (in either firefox or IE8). If I quote the OP I see the IMG tags and the links, but no images when viewing the post. If I try to access the image directly by copying the link and putting it in the address bar firefox tells me it is looking at a 1x1 gif but that might be the forum software prohibiting a link to the image from outside the forum.

Also can't see the pictures. I am VERY interested in seeing as I have been tossing the idea of building my own peristaltic pump around for a while now. Interested to see what you came up with for rollers; love the spring loaded idea.

:drunk::drunk::drunk:
Not sure why some can see pics and some can't. I can see them on my Laptop and tower. All were uploaded to HBT yesterday and all pics were pointed to HBT site. I'll try again and keep my fingers crossed. I've moved the pics from an album to my gallery.

More than likely I'm just a knob.

Reference first post for attempted pic fix.

It's fixed Bumbler.

That thing is AWESOME! Most professional and polished looking DIY peristaltic pump build to-date. Since you've had a chance to play around with one of these, do you think it would work as well if it were smaller and you increased the RPMs to get the same flow-rate? Or does the pulsating flow just start to screw things up at a smaller scale?

That is just beautiful. Is it possible to get drawings?

I do have some AutoCad drawings of the wooden housing along with a basic Autocad drawing of what I wanted the arms to look like. The motor/gear box is a scabbed/ reconfigured garage door opener.

That's a beast...

If you mean a "Beast", then yes, it's a Brute. I think it could pump molasses in the winter.

Also can't see the pictures. I am VERY interested in seeing as I have been tossing the idea of building my own peristaltic pump around for a while now. Interested to see what you came up with for rollers; love the spring loaded idea.

I went with the springs to compensate for the imperfections that might result from using a router to cut the circle instead of a CNC machine.

As for the rollers and spring arms I got lucky. I had the basic concept in mind and started looking for parts. I actually found them as a unit. $1.99 a piece and all I had to do was cut them to length and drill 3 holes, one to reposition the roller, and two the mount the arms to the plate. Add one adapter bushing and a 3/8" shaft and the rollers were well under way.

Rollers arms as purchased.
P-Pump_Arms.jpg

Roller arms cut to length.
P-Pump_Arms_Cut.jpg

Front view of rollers.
P-Pump_Test_Fit.jpg

Side view of rollers.
The rollers in this pic do not have any tension on them. Normally they would be splayed aou like a spider pushing outward.

tree_019.JPG

It's fixed Bumbler.

That thing is AWESOME! Most professional and polished looking DIY peristaltic pump build to-date. Since you've had a chance to play around with one of these, do you think it would work as well if it were smaller and you increased the RPMs to get the same flow-rate? Or does the pulsating flow just start to screw things up at a smaller scale?

I would love to make it smaller and lighter, I just don't know how yet. If I had access to a CNC and welder I think the size could be reduced by half. The housing rails are thicker than they need to be. For a first attempt I wanted to error on the side of caution.

Currently I pump 1 Gal/Min. using 3/8" tubing. I ran some quick calcs using 1/2" tubing and it's about 1.5 Gal/Min. The pulsating is pretty minimal with 2 rollers on the tubing at all times. It operates pretty smoothly. The biggest problem with pulsating was when the roller fell of the tube and reengaged the tube. The springs would farce the rollers out - slapping the housing. I solved that problem by cutting 2 strips of rubber almost as thick as the compressed tubing and filling the space.

How much tension is on the springs/rollers normally?

At the moment using my rudimentary scale it registers 4.5 LBS of outward force. Is this too much? I don't know. I can say it makes a very tight seal. After 6 batches I'm not seeing and adverse hose wear.

That is cool. what kind of cost are you looking at for everything to compare?

Basic pump

Roller arms 2.00 x 3 = 6.00
Bicyle sprocket 2.00 x2 = 6.00
3/8" hardened shaft 6.00
1/2 sheet 3/8" plywood free
Pillow bearings 8.00 x 2 = 16.00
Nuts and bolts 10.00
Smooth plastic strip 2.00

Motor/gear box

Used garage door opener free
bearing upgrade 2.00 x 4
large sheave 16.00
small sheave 6.00
belts 8.00 x 2
replacement motor because I didn't save the wiring diagram from garage door opener. 29.00

All number are +/- 100 :cross:

+ time, gas, trial, error, fix, trial, error, fix

I can see it now. There is a thread in the announcements forums that looks like there were (and perhaps still are) some gallery and other issues related to moving to the new database so it might just be the forum not working properly.

That said, the pump looks great! What were the roller arms originally before you adapted them for this purpose?

I can see it now. There is a thread in the announcements forums that looks like there were (and perhaps still are) some gallery and other issues related to moving to the new database so it might just be the forum not working properly.

That said, the pump looks great! What were the roller arms originally before you adapted them for this purpose?

Honestly, I don't know. The store keep didn't know either. I can say they are brand new, ball bearing construction and very sturdy. I've tried to theorize but I just don't know.

That is one innovative pump project Bumbler.
Curious to see it in operation. Next time you run it you should take a video.

Cheers;
BeerCanuck

Seems like a DC motor would be nice to adjust speeds. Other than that, perhaps a variable speed pulley would get you some adjustment too if you felt you needed it.

Very innovative, I'm impressed! You could always ditch the electric motor altogether and use a bicycle to pump the wort!

Awesome. I would love to see more pics. Actually vids would be neat to see.

Who makes a pump?

I don't see pulleys being what makes this any smaller. How bout a gearbox reducer instead.

Very innovative, I'm impressed! You could always ditch the electric motor altogether and use a bicycle to pump the wort!

When and if I build one, that was my plan. A manual powered peristaltic. Wouldn't work for a RIMS/HERMS but it would be a good workout for a simple transfer.

Seems like a DC motor would be nice to adjust speeds. Other than that, perhaps a variable speed pulley would get you some adjustment too if you felt you needed it.

Seeing the great responses, I've been inspired to build Ver. II. Something more sleek and lighter.

A DC motor would be nice. It would eliminate the gear box and help with the weight issue. Perhaps on version III. If I can redesign the housing. I think there's some excess wood. I've been tossing around the idea of routering 2 circle grooves on the front and back plate that a thin piece of wood would fit into for the rollers to roll on. I think it would eliminate about 2" all the way around.

That is awesome, virtually no pulsating in the output and I'm sure the hose is easy to remove due to the "springed" rollers design.

Bumbler,

Great design and execution.:mug: I can visualize a slightly different design that has one shaft driving two sets of rollers running on two separate tubes. That would synchronize flow to the sparge arm with flow from the MLT to the boil kettle. Building this out of stacked sheets of plywood might lend itself to multiple pumps for greater versatility. It looks as if your motor would have plenty of power.

That is sweet. The spring loaded rollers were an awesome idea -- I wish I had thought of it. I just posted a thread about my peristaltic pumps; I went a completely different direction, but I like yours. Whats the flow rate? (sorry if it was posted earlier, I didn't see it.)

haze

On my commercial peristaltic pump the hose does not press against anything... it is stretched over the rollers in an 'n' shape.

On my commercial peristaltic pump the hose does not press against anything... it is stretched over the rollers in an 'n' shape.

That is the design I used for my DIY peristaltic pump, just stretched over the rollers.

haze

Dammit, not another project to think about building!!

With access to CNC machine and spare parts, I am thinking that a bunch of time and bit of money could see it get done...

Love the build. I am thinking of trying to do a similar pump and I was wondering where you found those spring arms so cheap?

Love the build. I am thinking of trying to do a similar pump and I was wondering where you found those spring arms so cheap?

At a local mom and pop establishment called "Central Sales" 218-624-5749, that specializes in - let's say - "handyman supplies". You just never know what you'll find there. Last I saw they still had lots left. Not sure about the actual rollers, I bought them separately.

16 months and still pumping with the original silicone tubing, without worrying about loosing the prime or running dry.

Latest posts

Back