Spreadsheet for doing Calculation by hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canofworms

Reaction score
Been doing AG for the past year and relying on BeerSmith for all my calculations. I was curios if anyone has run across a spreadsheet that would allow for a more hands on calculation of volumes, estimated SRM, IBU and OG. Don't get me wrong I love BeerSmith software but would enjoy understanding the math behind the numbers a bit more.

How to brew has a lot of the math equations. I used those to build an excel spreadsheet for calculations. There other resources out there if you Google them.

I agree with the above recommendation. Find the equations then build up your own sheet. You won't learn anything trying to decipher the equations from an excel sheet. A lot of (B2*C3)/D5 will just confuse you.

This way you tailor it to your own needs.

The math makes my head hurt. I prefer to try to understand what is happening and let recipe software do the calculations for me.

if you use and rPi for other things brewing related this is a good excuse to learn a bit about programming in something like python or bash (both super easy to start with), that way you don't even have the weird references in a spreadsheet but proper variable names that are easy to understand.

Although I use Beersmith, I always calculate volumes by hand -- it's simple and there are only three things to calculate: Boil Volume (hot), First Runoff Volume, and Total Sparge Volume.

I've never seen anyone show how to calculate them. One of these days I'll scan it and post it.

Back