Spotting on Chinook, Yellowing and browning on Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGerman3434

Reaction score
These are all first year plants. Just notice yellow spotting on the Chinook after the flowering.
IMG_1961.jpg

The cascade started yellowing and browning around the same time.
IMG_1962.jpg

The leaves also started curling
IMG_1963.jpg

Is this just a deficiency in nutrient or something more serious. I’m new to hop growing so any advice would be great!

Inspect the underside of the leaves for insects, two spotted spider mites are a main culprit that can cause those issues. They are very small, u may want to use a magnifying glass.

The cupping of the leaves on the bottom two pics could be a response to a little bit of herbicide drift. Some of the spotting looks like it may be the beginning of a mite issue but the majority of it looks more like a virus/viroid. Like was suggested, check for mites with a hand lens.

If it’s a spider mites what is the best way to get rid of them? To my knowledge if it’s a virus/viroid I’m pretty much screwed then correct?

I have been using neem oil and pyganic to treat my bines for mites. They are both organic poisons therefore somewhat expensive and the results are inconclusive. I have not noticed any expanding damage but then again the pressure it just fixing to get started according to my experience.

Back