Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what Armstrong and Aldin's heart rates were running at on Eagle's blast off from the moon.
The "Is this gonna light?" question alone would have me on the verge of a hyperventilated red-out :D

Cheers!

^^ Agreed!!
I have a hard enough time every time I turn the key to start my boat to head back home. Can’t imagine what it would feel like to do that on the friggin moon!!

fwiw, Spacex is (hopefully) about to light off a Heavy into the night sky. Should be quite a show...

Cheers!

[edit] Ugh. They just announced a delay to 2:30 AM eastern time. I'll watch the replay, thanks ;)

Too bad the damn moon is waxing and straight up! Next week have vacation so getting her out if I can stay sobber throughout the day. [emoji39]

"The Apollo Guidance Computer was a marvel: As Poppy Northcutt, who calculated Apollo’s return-to-Earth trajectories, told me, the AGC had less computing power than the greeting cards today that record a personal message. Yet it worked."

https://slate.com/technology/2019/10/consequential-computer-code-software-history.html

Imagine trusting your ass to a greeting card chip ;)
Actually, that'd be an advantage verses the SSI and discrete components used to build the AGC. A comparative bazillion points of failure...

Cheers!

Last edited:
"The Apollo Guidance Computer was a marvel: As Poppy Northcutt, who calculated Apollo’s return-to-Earth trajectories, told me, the AGC had less computing power than the greeting cards today that record a personal message. Yet it worked."

https://slate.com/technology/2019/10/consequential-computer-code-software-history.html

Imagine trusting your ass to a greeting card chip ;)
Actually, that'd be an advantage verses the SSI and discrete components used to build the AGC. A comparative bazillion points of failure...

Cheers!

Yea, it's a wonder we got to the moon. Cool article.

Line of code in that article's title looks like part of the source for C strcmp() function. BTW, if anybody wants to read an old school story of hackers infiltrating the early internet (darpanet), this is a pretty good one. Writing level is pretty low, but the story is cool and for old computer nurds it's a real blast from the past.

https://www.amazon.com/CUCKOOS-EGG-.../ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

upload_2019-10-15_0-36-47.png

So only 2 out of 3 main chutes deployed, but the landing still looked quite "soft".
Launch occurs just over 2 minutes in...

Cheers!

So only 2 out of 3 main chutes deployed, but the landing still looked quite "soft".
Launch occurs just over 2 minutes in...

Cheers!

Pretty cool. I need one of those under the seat on my next flight. They tell you there's a life preserver under every seat on an airplane - I really wonder if any of those have ever been used to save a life. Give me a parachute, thanks.

Pretty cool. I need one of those under the seat on my next flight. They tell you there's a life preserver under every seat on an airplane - I really wonder if any of those have ever been used to save a life. Give me a parachute, thanks.

My thoughts, exactly.

CSB: Back in the '80s I once flew People Express (aka Air Bulgaria) from Minneapolis to Pittsburgh for an uncle's funeral. During a rather bumpy flight the FAs were going around checking on passengers. One asked me if there was anything I would like. I said, "how 'bout a parachute?" She just gave me a funny look and handed me a Coke. Today, I'd probably earn a set of handcuffs for a remark like that.
/CSB

That's cool.
Have you tried to catch any of the Starlink constellation? Apparently it doesn't take much more than a pair of high-powered binoculars to spot them, but we've been under cloud cover for days on end over here...

Cheers!

That's cool.
Have you tried to catch any of the Starlink constellation? Apparently it doesn't take much more than a pair of high-powered binoculars to spot them, but we've been under cloud cover for days on end over here...

Cheers!

Don't know what that is, but I'm off to find out.

I just put my camera on a tripod and use a remote to activate the shutter (on "bulb", so it stays open).

What's REALLY neat is using a pair of military NODs to look at the sky. Night vision goggles. You can see EVERYTHING through them. I'll be back out tomorrow night with my camera - I'll try to take a pic through them.

Check out this "gigapan" pic shot inside the newest US Air Force Museum hangar at Wright-Patterson AFB outside Dayton, Ohio.
There are some cool birds that you can zoom close enough to almost touch.

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/194894#share-embed

Go full-screen. It's amazing how much detail is crammed in one pic...

Cheers!
Damn! That's some serious resolution! Thanks for sharing
Screenshot_20200312-180307.jpeg
Screenshot_20200312-180254.jpeg

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/dm2/
NASA, SpaceX to Launch First Astronauts to Space Station from U.S. Since 2011

A new era of human spaceflight is set to begin as American astronauts once again launch on an American rocket from American soil to the International Space Station as part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program. NASA astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley will fly on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft, lifting off on a Falcon 9 rocket at 4:32 p.m. EDT May 27, from Launch Complex 39A in Florida, for an extended stay at the space station for the Demo-2 mission. The specific duration of the mission is to be determined.

As the final flight test for SpaceX, this mission will validate the company’s crew transportation system, including the launch pad, rocket, spacecraft, and operational capabilities. This also will be the first time NASA astronauts will test the spacecraft systems in orbit.

Back