• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Spot the Space Station

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

day_trippr

A bad time to be an empath.
Reaction score
If that's an office view you're a lucky dood! :)
I watched a shuttle launch from the parking lot of the Red Sox spring training facilities in Winter Haven once - so that'd be roughly one third the way from where you are to the Cape.

On a perfectly cloud-free day it was still brighter than the sun from our vantage point...

Cheers!

OP
passedpawn
Reaction score
The upcoming flight will feature the Crew Dragon manned capsule mounted atop the Falcon 9 rocket. The success/failure ratio of each rocket is under it. You can see the relative size of each. (note the soyuz rocket, workhorse of the USSR/Russia.

1589513154327.png

OP
passedpawn
Reaction score
Crew Dragon

It sits on top of the rocket. It has its own safety system to eject it from the rocket in case of failure. Its 8 Super Draco thruster engines push it away from the rocket (Falcon 9). It then falls back to earth, slowed by 2 drogue parachutes, then later 4 main chutes.

This following video from 4 months ago.

Last edited:

day_trippr

Reaction score
Anticipation building, but as always, Mother Nature shall have her say, and a weather hold seems possible.
Launch is still scheduled for 4:33 p.m. EDT (2033 GMT) ...

Cheers! (and fingers crossed it launches - and goes perfectly to plan!)

day_trippr

Reaction score
I would expect the SpaceX youtube channel would be the go-to for a replay.

The Spousal Unit and I were taking the long way home from our youngest son's house after visiting our 8 month old grandson and my watch started beeping at 3pm - launch alarm! We got home at t-10 minutes - found we'd lost power so all the STBs needed to be woken up and the UPS on my workstation had put it into hibernation! Yikes! Mad scramble but we were up on the big screen at t-90 seconds.

tbh I was loaded with trepidation, but they pulled it off. Everything apparently went perfectly including landing the booster at sea. Gave me goosebumps watching the booster take off and stage all the way through. Very cool :)

Cheers!

Yesfan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I got excited thinking the ISS was going to be in view tonight, but then realized it's an old posting.

I got to see the launch today and loved it. Got to admit, I was a bit nervous during lift off. I remember the Challenger explosion when I was in high school, so that always seems to ride on my mind whenever I get to see any launch with a crew.

I got to visit the Kennedy Space Center last year when the family and me went to Universal studios. We had an extra day, so went there. If you are even remotely interested in space, I highly recommend going there. IMO, if that was the only place I could have went on our vacation last year, it would still be worth going.

Did anyone else have visions of Strange Brew whenever you heard Bob and Doug's names?

day_trippr

Reaction score