Spot the Space Station

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
passedpawn
Reaction score
With the, almost, complete lack of air pressure, I was surprised any lift could be generated. NASA obviously tested this on Earth first so had no doubt it would work. Looking forward to what lays ahead for the little one.
Right. There's lift from the props action on the atmosphere, vs the downward force from gravity.

Mars gravity is only 38% of earth's. But the atmosphere is less than 1% of earth's. SO, that makes it very difficult to get lift and to get off the ground. Large blades at a severe angle makes it possible I guess. And high speed.

Without an atmosphere, getting heat away from motors etc is quite problematic. A long time ago I used heat tubes filled with ammonia to do this. Interesting technology there.

day_trippr

Moderna Or Bust! :D
Reaction score
It has been an impressive couple of weeks for man vs space it's getting harder to keep up :)
Next exciting episode will likely involve SpaceX's SN15 SN15 which did a test burn today.

Meanwhile, this is a for-real pic of Crew Dragon's ascent to its ISS rendezvous, taken from Bryson City in the Smokys.

1619562490450.png

DuncB

Reaction score
That's nice, saw ISS go over whilst the Crew Dragon was about 20 km from ISS. Couldn't see the Dragon then but ISS bright.
Starlink less easy to spot these days.
Awaiting SN15 with much anticipation, no Fog this time I hope.

Snark_Wolf_Brewing

Snark Wolf Brewing
Reaction score
That's nice, saw ISS go over whilst the Crew Dragon was about 20 km from ISS. Couldn't see the Dragon then but ISS bright.
Starlink less easy to spot these days.
Awaiting SN15 with much anticipation, no Fog this time I hope.
Last I'd heard, SpaceX was working on moving the Starlink satellites into a higher orbit. That'll probably make the crew working the phones at the National UFO Reporting Center happy, since they're getting 100s of calls per day from people who are mistaking Starlink for UFOs passing overhead.

day_trippr

Reaction score

NGD

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Very tiny aliens if they were hitchiking in that ball.
Well damn, thought for sure it was that soccer ball I kicked really hard one time as a kid and we lost track of it in the air. Thought for sure it hit outer space

day_trippr

Reaction score
Did anyone ever identify this object that few by after separation?
The last speculative take I read was it was an ice chunk shed by the very same spacecraft. Which makes sense - the odds of something extraneous passing through that gap at that instant would be extraordinarily low...

Cheers!

Snark_Wolf_Brewing

Snark Wolf Brewing
Reaction score
The last speculative take I read was it was an ice chunk shed by the very same spacecraft. Which makes sense - the odds of something extraneous passing through that gap at that instant would be extraordinarily low...

Cheers!
Anyone remember the footage of what looked like a small rodent scurrying across the engine during one of the launches?

NGD

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Couldn't have been if I kick a ball high it comes back with ice on it!
Trajectory was to low or not enough thrust.

Cheers!
I figured it was something along those lines for the same reason. It's pretty amazing to have that camera angle available so the public can witness the entire event.

Snark_Wolf_Brewing

Snark Wolf Brewing
Reaction score
Trajectory was to low or not enough thrust.

I figured it was something along those lines for the same reason. It's pretty amazing to have that camera angle available so the public can witness the entire event.
Anytime something strange pops up on a NASA live stream, they have a tendency of shutting the video stream down, which only adds fuel to all crazy conspiracy theories on the internet.

Reactions: NGD

NGD

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anytime something strange pops up on a NASA live stream, they have a tendency of shutting the video stream down, which only adds fuel to all crazy conspiracy theories on the internet.
Hah, I know. I used to immediately dismiss them without a second thought as space junk. The navy releasing the video of the UFO and that damn Joe Rogan doing Cmdr. Fravor and Bob Lazar interviews have me making some nifty tin foil hats.

Snark_Wolf_Brewing

Snark Wolf Brewing
Reaction score
Hah, I know. I used to immediately dismiss them without a second thought as space junk. The navy releasing the video of the UFO and that damn Joe Rogan doing Cmdr. Fravor and Bob Lazar interviews have me making some nifty tin foil hats.
If half of what either Fravor or Lazar ever said in interviews was even remotely true, the powers that be would have had them silenced years ago.

Reactions: NGD

day_trippr

Reaction score
It appears NASA has had second thoughts about the fifth Ingenuity flight being potentially a push-the-envelope-til-it-fails thing and instead will use it for science :rock: - until it eventually breaks! Big paradigm shift, but I suspect the original plan was just super conservative. Now that the little flyer has shown off its chops why not use it as a pathfinder?

day_trippr

Reaction score
Took a few tries but SpaceX finally landed a Starship (15) and it still hasn't blown up (though at this moment it's still smoking).
Launch is at 6:30 in this video...

Did not see the flip. Too bad, that'd be cool...

Cheers!

Snark_Wolf_Brewing

Snark Wolf Brewing
Reaction score
Took a few tries but SpaceX finally landed a Starship (15) and it still hasn't blown up (though at this moment it's still smoking).
Launch is at 6:30 in this video...

Did not see the flip. Too bad, that'd be cool...

Cheers!
Didn't see any space rats hitching a ride on this one. 😏

Sailingeric

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution
Reaction score
Spotted the starlink satellites. Saw a small string about 9:15 and the about 5 minutes going in another direction about 40. Not my video but was similar.

day_trippr

Reaction score
That is so cool. We've yet to see that - weather seems agin' it here.
Also, not apparent SpaceX's "starry sky" mitigation efforts are working.
Knew it wasn't yours because I don't think Oregon has gone full-on tropical jungle quite yet, climate change or not :D

day_trippr

Reaction score
I saw that - it's actually the "Ingenuity" rotorcraft - and I keep some cardboard anaglyph "glasses" handy in my desk. Very cool! :)

Meanwhile....get ready for "Martian Battlebots!" :D

day_trippr

Reaction score
As mundane as Starlink deployment missions have become, occasionally the video downlink during landings works really well and lends to the spectacle.
Check this out at 20 minutes in. You can actually make out the drone ship name "Of Course I Still Love You"...

Cheers!