Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks in the New England area and looking south might see a satellite launch in the next 10 minutes.
Launch is in Virginia...

[edit] We saw it! A white fan emanating from a bright point due south heading east, maybe 20° above the horizon.
Too faint to image with a phone but very cool! Pretty sure that's the first sat launch I've seen from here :)

[edit2] Sorry to see that the video was taken down. Someone trying to make a buck I guess...

Last edited:
You can find lots of images/vids on the net. This is pretty close to what we saw moving up and across the night sky. Pretty cool...

1674616939563.png

The Next Big Event may well be SpaceX lighting up a 33 engine Super Heavy booster.
After the (unexpected, no doubt) launch site damage caused by the 4 engine SLS/Artemis booster I can only imagine the carnage Super Heavy might cause...

Scrubbed due to a "lighting fluid failure"?

Anyway..."The next launch opportunity comes on Thursday (March 2) at 12:34 a.m. EST (0534 GMT); weather on Tuesday (Feb. 28), the first possible opportunity before that, is not favorable for launch, according to NASA and SpaceX. "

Crew 6 launch is now scheduled to go off in the wee hours of tomorrow at 12:34 ET.
Apparently a plugged "triethylaluminum triethylboron filter" 😯 was the root cause of the scrub.
Filter replaced, system nitro purged, and they're ready to go again.
Hopefully this goes off safely...

Cheers!

That reminds me, I need to check my "triethylaluminum triethylboron filter" on my own rocket. :thumbsup:

On the West Coast, we finally launched the new 2.0 StarLink's today. It was suposed to leave the same day as crew 6.

I was lucky to see the Wallops launch back in late January but it was darker earlier back then. If it goes off at the late end of the window I might have a chance this time but if it's on the early end I doubt it...

Cheers!

I was lucky to see the Wallops launch back in late January but it was darker earlier back then. If it goes off at the late end of the window I might have a chance this time but if it's on the early end I doubt it...

Cheers!

I'm in SE TN, so outside that window for tonight's lauch. If the skies are clear, I may check anyways to know for sure. Going to see a legit launch at Cape Canaveral, FL is one item on my bucket list.

Virgin Orbit files for bankruptcy. Richard Branson doesn't have Musk magic. Virgin Orbit launches satellites to orbit, a lucrative biz if you can do it. Unlike the heavy lifters that SpaceX uses, Orbit launched their vehicles from an airplane, not ground. So, there is some fuel savings there, not sure how much.

Regardless the savings, failures will ultimately doom a company, and the recent failure in January (US and UK satellites ended up in ocean) meant the end for this player.

My neighbors daughter worked for them and was recently laid off. She said that after January's launch failure, everything dried up. One big difference is payload size, these are very small rockets that don't carry much. Larger rockets can carry multiple payloads that also share the cost, not one like Virgin Orbit's.

I thought I had heard on the news that Musk said Starship would launch later in April but maybe that was just late reporting of the April 17 date.

Anyway, yeah, when this sucker flies it is gonna be epic...

1681259080194.png

Cheers!

My neighbors daughter worked for them and was recently laid off. She said that after January's launch failure, everything dried up. One big difference is payload size, these are very small rockets that don't carry much. Larger rockets can carry multiple payloads that also share the cost, not one like Virgin Orbit's.

Rocket lab reported last year that they would launch more often if they had more customers.

Looks like SpaceX confirmed the Monday morning Starship launch. Also confirmed that both the booster and vehicle will end up landing in water (literally - they're gonna drown!) instead of landing pads or ships.

Meanwhile it looks like the upcoming Falcon Heavy launch window will open for an ~hour at 7:29 p.m. EDT Tuesday, April 18, 2023. Presumably they will attempt to land at least two of the three cores...

Cheers!

Looks like SpaceX confirmed the Monday morning Starship launch. Also confirmed that both the booster and vehicle will end up landing in water (literally - they're gonna drown!) instead of landing pads or ships.

Meanwhile it looks like the upcoming Falcon Heavy launch window will open for an ~hour at 7:29 p.m. EDT Tuesday, April 18, 2023. Presumably they will attempt to land at least two of the three cores...

Cheers!
I’m excited about starship!

Next falcon heavy is fully expendable so no landings.
https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/...-launch-spacex-falcon-heavy-viasat-3-americas

Back