Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will see about %93 percent if I stay home, well work actually. I'd have to drive about 4 or 5 hours northwest to get into %100 territory. It will come down to the weather for me to decide what I'll do, if it's looking clear I'll probably take my daughter out of school to drive west so we can watch it together.

I'm heading to my BIL in Syracuse, and he's picked a state park an hr NW that is on Lake Ontario which I don't think we'll get anywhere NEAR because of it's location in the path of totality but sure. I mean even Syracuse proper will be in the path of totality, so I'm trying to convince him not to drag me another hour away just to be at a spot of longest totality. And thanks for the two links, @day_trippr

They have an extraordinarily aggressive schedule for 2024: 148 launches at last count have been booked.
If I lived within eyesight of KSC I'd be in space geek heaven this year 🤩

Cheers!

They have an extraordinarily aggressive schedule for 2024: 148 launches at last count have been booked.
If I lived within eyesight of KSC I'd be in space geek heaven this year 🤩

Cheers!
For sure! I have been going to Merritt Island every six now to visit family and I've been fortunate to see at least one launch every trip. Getting over to Starbase would be the ultimate dream!

If you've got a second screen, you can listen to Mr Chatty rambling about space. Live feed that will also show the launch and multiple views.

That would be great, but the rest of the household wouldn't be so happy! I don't understand why they don't find this so exciting. It's history in the making.

I use my dual 24 inch PC monitors which actually works better for me.

Last edited:
Thermal camera on starship indicates cold (liquid gas) LOX is being loaded. That's good, must not be any issues to delay launch. Hope weather holds out.

1710420467200.png

Been seeing random launch video segments and just now realized the grid fins on the booster were deployed the whole way UP.
Never seen that on the Falcon 9 cores. Wonder if that was an "oops" or somehow part of a testing regimen (stress?)

You can see them at the launch moment and beyond here...

There is so much data to unravel here. I'm hoping SpaceX puts together a coherent and comprehensive time line hopefully with time-matched video...

Cheers!

Been seeing random launch video segments and just now realized the grid fins on the booster were deployed the whole way UP.
Never seen that on the Falcon 9 cores. Wonder if that was an "oops" or somehow part of a testing regimen (stress?)

You can see them at the launch moment and beyond here...

There is so much data to unravel here. I'm hoping SpaceX puts together a coherent and comprehensive time line hopefully with time-matched video...

Cheers!

On Starship the grid fins don't fold in like on Falcon. It's an odd thing, not sure why, you'd think that would considerable drag at launch.

I'm betting it's temporary and eventually as designs mature they'll fold when not needed.
Space is hard enough as it is without incurring stupid penalties in the actual game :)

Cheers!

After the first flight the media didn't have much out there. The second had more and loads of questions why it exploded so quick. Folks have so little clue that none of this existed a few years ago. Experimental doesn't seem to register.

So now we see the media taking notice but still lots of stupid comments.

Back