Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed :)

So with all that carnage and the FAA already having pulled flight authorization for the time being I would agree with the presenter that the next Starship launch is more likely 4 months or more out than 2. Too many issues to solve and implement corrections before they can even present a case for the next launch, and you know the FAA is going to be on top of this now...

Cheers!

SpaceX missions have become so routine these days it's easy to miss them before they happen. Today's Crew launch flew under my personal radar because the mission was farmed out to Axiom Space.

Anyway, a successful launch and four more folks enjoyed a trip well above the Karman Line...

Cheers!

Are you ready for the Total Solar Eclipse of 2024?

1686529572646.png

My dad and I built a 4 bed/2 bath saltbox up in the NH White Mountains for the family back in the 1980s that will be inside the path (it's under the left "n" in "Burlington") and under 20 minutes to the dead center of the band. Totality for that location will be on April 8 2024 at 3:30 PM. Weather willing we'll be there...

Cheers!

Welp! Sh¡T happens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstec...roadband-satellite-could-be-a-total-loss/amp/
Viasat 2 had a problem with deploying the antenna too. It uses explosives like unfolding an umbrella and junk got caught in it. The good news back then was I believe it was 90% operational and insurance even covers these types of mishaps.

Viasat3? I've read in a couple of places it could be a total loss. Insurance will cover it but you can't sell insurance checks. Not good.

Another day in the life of an engineer. I do hope the Rockstar Snowflake that is responsible gets fired. This has happened twice in a row!

Last edited:
It's a delicate science. I went to a couple of launch parties. There was always a huge celebration once it got into orbit in about an hour. Always we're out of the woods. Nothing can really go wrong now. Then a couple months when they unfurl the antennas, fire it up and oh oh.

Same mentality here. Not taking it seriously and very positive within the first hour then oh oh again. The reason why I was all excited to see my old stock race up so I can finally dump it.
rocket-launch-fail.gif

T-4 and counting.

With the ViaSat 3 Americas failure fresh on everyone's minds no doubt there will be a lot of tight sphincters at both SpaceX and Hughes tonight...

Cheers!

[edit] Launch abort called at T-01m05s...

Last edited:
Falcon Heavy Jupiter 3 rescheduled launch window tonight runs from 11:00 p.m to 12:43 a.m., EDT.
Also, there is a regularly scheduled Falcon 9 Starlink launch tonight scheduled for 10:20 p.m. EDT...

Cheers!

Starlink launch now moved to 11:10 PM EDT, and the Jupiter 3 launch has moved to Friday with the 99 minute launch window opening at 11:04...

[edit] A lotta pushing going on with SpaceX this week. Starlink launch now moved to 11:55PM EDT...
[edit2] T-3 minutes aiming for 12:01 AM Starlink mission launch...
[edit3] Up and away, second stage looked successful and the booster landed on a drone ship successfully on its 15th flight.

Amazing! It's getting to "Jetsons" level :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Yup, happened to me last night. Thankfully Youtube had it covered.
Both side boosters landed and the payload was successfully deployed...

Cheers!

I wasn't sure where to put this, but tonight is the peak of the Perseid meteor shower.

They tend to originate from the constellation Perseus, but it's one of the nice meteor showers that are seen all over the sky. No need to watch a particular section of sky.

Give yer eyes fifteen minutes or so to become dark adapted, get as far away from light pollution as possible, and bring a comfy beach or pool lounger that you can recline on. Leave yer phone in yer car, or you'll never get dark adapted.

I live at over 8k feet in the mountains in a TINY village... almost perfect viewing conditions in my backyard except for the heavy cloud cover today. I hope it clears by tonight.

You found The Right Place for Space Stuff.
I've been looking forward to tonight but I fear the weather has other plans. It's 50/50 clear/clouds and that storm is heading my way...

1691882165591.png

Oh well...

Spent the week on Merritt Island waiting out the delays for Crew 7 and Starlink missions. Finally got to see Crew 7 this morning. Cool to see the 1st stage land! Unfortunately, had to head out a few hours later so had to settle for SpaceX streaming of Starlink tonight. I thought a couple of times I'd get to see 2 launches in one day!

Spent the week on Merritt Island waiting out the delays for Crew 7 and Starlink missions. Finally got to see Crew 7 this morning. Cool to see the 1st stage land! Unfortunately, had to head out a few hours later so had to settle for SpaceX streaming of Starlink tonight. I thought a couple of times I'd get to see 2 launches in one day!
Merritt Island, the spot I have been lucky to see several Falcon 9 launches, but never a night one. It never gets old. I watched the Crew 7 launch after the fact. You are a lucky sole! I did watch it later thus morning though.

I watched the Booster 9 engine test on Friday, truly spectacular. I can't wait for the next Starship flight.

how routine these have become
I watched it on Spacex. Commentary was straight forward but none of the cheering or applause you used to hear in the background as mission marks were hit. Just another day at the office. Still exciting to me; as @OakIslandBrewery said, it never gets old.

I watched it on Spacex. Commentary was straight forward but none of the cheering or applause you used to hear in the background as mission marks were hit. Just another day at the office. Still exciting to me; as @OakIslandBrewery said, it never gets old.
Unfortunately my wife doesn't agree, she said it got old a long time ago.

So sad to feel that way but then again in all fairness that's how I feel about the political landscape.

Homebrew and spacers wins!

fwiw, folks in New England may see a chain of recently launched Starlink birds pass overhead around 7:40 - something tonight...

Cheers!

Back