Spontaneous Fermentation in Juice on Counter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieJ

Reaction score
The other day the fridge was just so packed I didn't have room for the blueberry pomegranate (from concentrate) juice that's in a huge container we use for mixing it. So, I left it out. The next day (or was it two days later?) I drank some mixed with water (I know it's unusual, but it's usually how I prefer juice) and I noticed some carbonation. I looked in the jug and there were little bits of white matter floating around the surface. Now it's been at least 4 days and it's been bubbling and the white matter has gone away, I just see tiny bubbles covering the surface.

So...what's going to happen to it (or what IS happening to it?). Will it turn to vinegar, do you suppose, or will it be poisonous or something?

I figured that it would probably taste bad if it was harmful, but I guess that's not necessarily true, is it?

I figured that it would probably taste bad if it was harmful, but I guess that's not necessarily true, is it?

Im not 100% sure but I think if there's not a bad smell or taste your probably fine. Anyone who is more knowledgeable please correct me. Id make another batch of juice and measure the OG to go against what your FG will be on the spontaneous batch of juice.... and let us know how it tastes! :mug:

nothing to be scared of. look around this forum for info on isolating yeast strains and try some small expirimental batches to see if you find something useful in your brewery.... or just wait and see how it goes. Warning, mold will make some nasty stuff. But yeast makes lots of very yummy stuff as we all know.

I actually use sun tea to culture wild yeast and souring bugs (I assume lacto). I make sun tea in an open top container with slices of lemon, lime, orange on my back porch a couple weekends a month, which makes awesome tea btw. If I leave some of the tea at room temp for more than a couple days, fermentation starts and I pour a small amount into a small starter. Mine is very sour.

Back