Spoiled batch? Nb white house honey ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyLastGamble

Reaction score
So I just brewed NBs white house honey ale. Og was 1.060 3 weeks in primary, fg stopped at 1.010 2 weeks in bottle and 48 hours in the fridge. Just tried some and it's kinda sweet, cidery, maybe a little sour. No carbonation, so I may take it or for another week, 0 head. Finishes a little bitter that lingers. Not sure if this is to style or not as I have never tried this beer until today. Has anyone had experience with this? Is this normal-close to normal or do you guys think it's possibly a spoiled batch?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

It's probably not spoiled, and a contamination would cause it carbonate quicker in all cases that I'm aware of. I assume you didn't forget to add priming sugar at bottling. What temperature are they conditioning at? If low it could take a couple more weeks to carbonate.

The norm for bottle conditioning is 3 weeks at about 70 degrees. Cooler will take longer. Bigger beers will also take longer.

Have patience and I would guess your beer will be better.

I did add my priming sugar. I guess what I'm worried about most is its lack of "beer" flavor. I've enjoyed styles from saisons to wheats, ipas, porters/stouts, ambers, reds, dark ales and this doesn't fall under any of those flavor profiles. Its a lot more like a sour cider than beer.

I'm probably slightly at fault by brewing a beer I've never tasted before. But based on the ingredients I was suspecting something else.

.75lbs medium crystal malt
.5lbs Belgian biscuit malt
Steeped at 155 for 20 min

6.3 lbs gold malt lme
1lb gold dme
Boil for 60 min

Hops added:

1.5oz east Kent holdings 45 min
1.5 oz UK fuggles 15 min

Also added Irish moss at 15 min and 1 lb of honey at 15 min per the kit. The honey didn't flow at all so most of it didn't get added till closer to 10 min.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

From John Palmer's How to Brew, "Common Off-Flavors":

Acetaldehyde
A flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin; it is an intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol. Some yeast strains produce more than others, but generally its presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition.

Cidery
Cidery flavors can have several causes but are often the result of adding too much cane or corn sugar to a recipe. One component of a cidery flavor is acetaldehyde which has a green-apple character. It is a common fermentation byproduct and different yeasts will produce different levels of it depending on the recipe and temperature. Cidery flavors are encouraged by warmer than normal temperatures and can be decreased by lagering.

If it is caused by aceto bacteria, then there is nothing to be done about it. Keep the fruit flies away from the fermentor next time.

Estery / Fruity
Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys. Esters are produced by the yeast and different yeast strains will produce different amounts and types. In general, higher fermentation temperatures produce more esters. Next batch, contrive to lower the fermentation temperature by a few degrees.

So my second guess would be that the fermentation temperatures got a little out of control.

Back