Splitting a brew day in 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMckeever

Reaction score
I was hoping to brew tonight after work, but after thinking about it would end being a very late night. Would there be any issues to mashing tonight, and then starting the boil tomorrow evening? I couldn't think of any as long as i kept a lid on the boil pot that was full of wort. What do you guys think? This will also give my starter a bit more time.

I dont see a problem with that. So long as you get it sparged, I wouldnt leave it in the mash tun over night.

But get the preboil wort in the pot, cover it, boil it next day? Any infection it might get in te time will be boiled in the process.

I would think the main thing would be to just make sure it gets hot enough to stop all enzyme activity before you leave it for the night on day 1...

I do this quite frequently: Mash and sparge one day. Drain runoff into sanitized bucket. Cover and let sit overnight. Boil the next day. Never had a problem.

My last batch i had every intention of boiling the next day and life got in the way I left it for 2 1/2 days no issues

I would think the main thing would be to just make sure it gets hot enough to stop all enzyme activity before you leave it for the night on day 1...

I think most folks who do this (MrAverage being at least one exception) mash in and then go to bed with no mash-out. So temp starts in the 150's and finishes down around 140 by the next AM.

Make that two exceptions. I mash and sparge and leave the sweet wort in the pot on the stove until the next morning.

Latest posts

Back