Splitting a batch of beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel4616

Reaction score
I want to brew a batch of Pumpkin Porter, and a standard Pale Ale. I was going to keg a full 5gallon batch of the pumpkin, but decided I only want about a 24 pack of the pumpkin, and am going to keg the 3-4 gallon Pale.

I am admittedly not the most technical person, and sometimes dont take gravity readings, but I have been getting much better. I am asking what the recipe for this will look like? How would I go about splitting the batch? I was considering mashing the pale malts together and doing a mini mash of the darker porter malts in a seperate, smaller, mash steeping style. Then combining some of the pale wort together with the porter wort, and having two seperate boils. One right after the other. Now I am here to ask, how much of the pale wort should be made, and how much should be used for the porter? I have all the grains for both, but am a little lost at how much to use for each. Looking for a standard OG, and a session type of abv. (~4.5-5.5%) for both of the beers. Any help is appreciated.

You could do the mash with your base malts, split it into 2 kettles, then steep the specialty grains for the in the kettle of the porter, like with an extract brew. Specialty grains don't need to be mashed.

Sounds good, is there a way I can figure out the OG of the beers though? Im going to hopville, but am not sure how or what to plug in...

Back