Splitting a batch before the boil??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don204

Reaction score
Does this sound like a bad idea? I was thinking about splitting a 5 gallon batch after the mash is complete so I could possibly make two different brews with the same grains but different hops and yeast. 2 boils means more work but is that the only downside?

Anyone for or against? Please state your reasons.
Thanks

Don't see anything wrong with that, I would if I had two kettles. If you don't have two kettles I don't know that you're saving yourself a lot of time by splitting the mash since the wort's going to cool down while you're boiling the first half and you'll have to heat it all up again.

Very often done. You wouldn't need to worry about infection since the half of the wort that cooled will be brought back to a boil for the different hop additions.

You could also boil with the same bittering addition, then split hot and use different finish hops and yeast. Also could make a smaller steep of specialty grain separately, boil and add that to a partial batch. I forget where I read it here, but someone did a nice write up on how to achieve many different beers from the same base wort. You can also vary gravity by topping up.

Back