split 6 gal batch = two 3 gals of two beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My plan is to brew a Berliner Weiss but split a 6 gal batch into two 3 gal batches. One batch I want to make a Black Berliner Weisse....(I know this a verge from the BJCP style guide). My plan is to add 1.5lbs of Debittered Black Malt to get the black color. My question is how can I add the color to the one 3 gal batch without having to do separate mashes for each 3 gal batch. I'm thinking I could just steep the grains and add the steep to the 3 gal batch after do a full 6 gal boil..just bollow the steep for 10- 15 mins to kill of any possible spoiling organisms. any ideas?:mug:

If you steep and then boil you'd be adding water and diluting the black 3gal.
Steeping in one of 2 separate 3gal boils would be best.
To do a single boil what I would try is to draw off the 3gal at flame out, steep the black immediately to sanitize and try to cool it fast to 160 to minimize tannins, then determine steep time based on color.

BTW 1.5lb seems like a LOT of black just to get the color, did you mean 1.5oz?

BTW 1.5lb seems like a LOT of black just to get the color, did you mean 1.5oz?

No I meant lbs. Built recipe using BeerSmith2 and according to it. 1.5 lbs of debittered black should bring color to 36 SRM

I'm going to attempt to do one boil, then draw off 3 gals and steep the black malt when the temperature drops below 160. and continue to steep as the wort cools to pitching temp.

Back