Spilled stash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethlehembrewer

Reaction score
So..... I went to buy my supplies for my brewday tomorrow. I go to the LHBS and get everything and bring it home. Once I am home I notice this very strong hop aroma, as a passing thought I say to myself: "wow those are some strong hops!" I had left the bag on the table while I changed outta my work clothes and when I went back downstairs about an hour later to put the bag away I notice.......

one of the hops bags opened and spilled all over the inside of the paper bag:( WTF. F-ing hops were everywhere!

Sorry just had to rant

Yeah I did. It was a total PITA, esp since I have a dog and some pellets ended up on the floor.

Heres a question. If I wanted to get 2.5 lbs out of a 3lbs bag of DME, what is the best way to measure it? I don't have a scale of any kind so...

bethlehembrewer said:
Yeah I did. It was a total PITA, esp since I have a dog and some pellets ended up on the floor.

Heres a question. If I wanted to get 2.5 lbs out of a 3lbs bag of DME, what is the best way to measure it? I don't have a scale of any kind so...

You need a big, flat dry surface, like a cookie sheet with a layer of wax paper on it, and a clean dry spatula.

Pour the DME into a line down the length of the cookie sheet. Use the spatula to gently push it into a long, flat- topped pile that's uniform in height and width. Now, draw lines through the pile with the spatula to split it into thirds. Take one of the thirds and divide it in half the same way.

Scoop the half-of-a-third of a pile into a bag, and save it for making starters. Pour the rest into your kettle.

Or, take your bag of DME to the grocery store and use their scale. Own a fish scale? Those work too.

jds said:
You need a big, flat dry surface, like a cookie sheet with a layer of wax paper on it, and a clean dry spatula.

Pour the DME into a line down the length of the cookie sheet. Use the spatula to gently push it into a long, flat- topped pile that's uniform in height and width. Now, draw lines through the pile with the spatula to split it into thirds. Take one of the thirds and divide it in half the same way.

Scoop the half-of-a-third of a pile into a bag, and save it for making starters. Pour the rest into your kettle.

Or, take your bag of DME to the grocery store and use their scale. Own a fish scale? Those work too.

I see some Scareface similarities!, when does the snorting start?

I hadnt thought about the grocery store scale! Good one. Prob becuase the last time I brought something into the store they tried charging me for it!:rockin:

Eh i'll just use all of is minus a few oz's. It's got to turn out better then the crap (bought at the bar beer) I drank tonight!

Back