Spike Solo basket (for 20 gallon kettle) work in a Blichmann 20 gallon kettle with a 240V brew coil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindastops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually use my blichman (240V) Brew Easy Classic (K-RIMS not BIAB) system to make 10 gallon batches of beer. It’s a great fit for me and I like it alot. But, I would like to try to make 5 gallon batches from time to time, I know the Spike condensing lid is compatible with the Blichmann 20 gallon kettle (I have one and love it). Has anyone ever tried to use a Spike Solo grain basket in an electric Blichmann kettle with their brew coil? I checked some dimensions and in theory it looks like it might work but I’m not sure. I’d like some advice on this before I spend the money on the grain basket. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I usually use my blichman (240V) Brew Easy Classic (K-RIMS not BIAB) system to make 10 gallon batches of beer. It’s a great fit for me and I like it alot. But, I would like to try to make 5 gallon batches from time to time, I know the Spike condensing lid is compatible with the Blichmann 20 gallon kettle (I have one and love it). Has anyone ever tried to use a Spike Solo grain basket in an electric Blichmann kettle with their brew coil? I checked some dimensions and in theory it looks like it might work but I’m not sure. I’d like some advice on this before I spend the money on the grain basket. Any help is greatly appreciated.
So I love my Spike Solo+ 15g equipment. That being said, I want to share my experience. I made good beers with my Solo basket. Never had any issues outside of the initial batch or two getting my process down. That being said, I did ultimately end up buying an all stainless custom mesh basked from ArborFab. By efficiencies are way higher with the steel mesh than the spike basket and I have to do less babysitting of the mash and have less if not zero anxiety that I may have a stuck mash and scorch my element. Again, I had no problems making good beer with my Solo basket, I just couldn't get past the low efficiency numbers and didn't like the possibility of scorching my element. Just wanted to throw that out there because a custom mesh basket is probably half the price of the Spike basket and you get better efficiencies. Happy to answer any questions you may have and I discuss it a little more in this thread: Spike Solo Owner's Thread

Edit 1: Also, a 5 gallon batch in a 20 gallon kettle likely won't work with the basket, I believe Spike has the minimum and max batch sized listed on the Solo pages due to the deadspace caused by the basket. I'll try and find it and link it here.

Edit 2: I was mistaken, Spike says in their equipment that 5g is the smallest size for 20g kettles.

Last edited:
So I love my Spike Solo+ 15g equipment. That being said, I want to share my experience. I made good beers with my Solo basket. Never had any issues outside of the initial batch or two getting my process down. That being said, I did ultimately end up buying an all stainless custom mesh basked from ArborFab. By efficiencies are way higher with the steel mesh than the spike basket and I have to do less babysitting of the mash and have less if not zero anxiety that I may have a stuck mash and scorch my element. Again, I had no problems making good beer with my Solo basket, I just couldn't get past the low efficiency numbers and didn't like the possibility of scorching my element. Just wanted to throw that out there because a custom mesh basket is probably half the price of the Spike basket and you get better efficiencies. Happy to answer any questions you may have and I discuss it a little more in this thread: Spike Solo Owner's Thread

Edit 1: Also, a 5 gallon batch in a 20 gallon kettle likely won't work with the basket, I believe Spike has the minimum and max batch sized listed on the Solo pages due to the deadspace caused by the basket. I'll try and find it and link it here.

Edit 2: I was mistaken, Spike says in their equipment that 5g is the smallest size for 20g kettles.
How much was the mash screen? I'm looking at the 15g for personal sixtel keg sizes or person 5g finished brewing. Eyeballing the solo but read about dead space etc etc. I guess I can always measure the kettle and order one like you did. But I'm trying to picture it. Do you have photos. Does it have on the kettle and stay just above the heating element? I can probably save money ordering a spike kettle that is just like the solo for whirlpool and the top to circulate the wort through the basket when lifted to further filter it..

How much was the mash screen? I'm looking at the 15g for personal sixtel keg sizes or person 5g finished brewing. Eyeballing the solo but read about dead space etc etc. I guess I can always measure the kettle and order one like you did. But I'm trying to picture it. Do you have photos. Does it have on the kettle and stay just above the heating element? I can probably save money ordering a spike kettle that is just like the solo for whirlpool and the top to circulate the wort through the basket when lifted to further filter it..
I have some pictures attached to a few of my posts in this thread. I believe it'll show you everything you're asking about. I also talk about why I opted to not use the Spike basket and order the mesh basket. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I know spike equipment is a big investment so I'm happy to share my insights after using it for a couple years now.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/spike-solo-owners-thread.683267/page-9#post-10292550

I have some pictures attached to a few of my posts in this thread. I believe it'll show you everything you're asking about. I also talk about why I opted to not use the Spike basket and order the mesh basket. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I know spike equipment is a big investment so I'm happy to share my insights after using it for a couple years now.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/spike-solo-owners-thread.683267/page-9#post-10292550
I like your idea. Using the condenser top as I was thinking of using that when I brew in garage. Since it's fully sheet rocked. Using that to help run water from bottom back over the mash. That being said I don't have a pulley. Not sure how heavy a grab bucket can get for a 15g solo but I'd have to have them put something on the basket so I can shrug the basket out and high enough just to be able to hook it on the kettle to allow to drain and allow me to push the excess liquid out with their press. From what I read as a problem with the solo is when it sits on kettle to drain it's still in the wort. Not high enough. Obviously 7-8 gallons in the 15g kettle might not have that problem, but I wonder what arborfab would do to make sure a one man show can lift it and hang it securely enough.

Also I have no idea but wouldn't it be nice to get the basket as close to the size as the kettle diameter side so the the water has to pass down through the grain when the pump is on instead of just spilling out the sides or potentially coming out the sides. I may be completely over thinking this part of it.

I reached out to spike and had them give me a quote for 15g 240v solo tank bottom drain. And also buying all the accessories of the solo tank separate to not get the grain solo basket so I'd be able to have one made. And it actually is close in price but with my tax added for CA. The system is actually maybe a couple hundred dollars more so it actually would save me the money to most likely order the stainless biab basket to fix dead space...

I like your idea. Using the condenser top as I was thinking of using that when I brew in garage. Since it's fully sheet rocked. Using that to help run water from bottom back over the mash. That being said I don't have a pulley. Not sure how heavy a grab bucket can get for a 15g solo but I'd have to have them put something on the basket so I can shrug the basket out and high enough just to be able to hook it on the kettle to allow to drain and allow me to push the excess liquid out with their press. From what I read as a problem with the solo is when it sits on kettle to drain it's still in the wort. Not high enough. Obviously 7-8 gallons in the 15g kettle might not have that problem, but I wonder what arborfab would do to make sure a one man show can lift it and hang it securely enough.

Also I have no idea but wouldn't it be nice to get the basket as close to the size as the kettle diameter side so the the water has to pass down through the grain when the pump is on instead of just spilling out the sides or potentially coming out the sides. I may be completely over thinking this part of it.
The pulleys are cheap, maybe $40, and all you need is a $5 eye bolt from whatever hardware store is near you to set it up. I highly recommend it, though unless you're brewing a 10g batch, you can likely easily lift either basket out of the wort by hand, might just need a stepstool depending where you have your kettle sitting.

As far as your pricing comment goes, if you can get the whole system without the spike basket and it ends up being just a couple hundred less, I'm fairly certain my arborfab basket was only like $180 so sounds like you'd still be saving money overall. I personally am very glad I got the mesh basket and would never switch back to the spike basket. There's nothing inherently wrong with the spike basket, it's just that my process is so much easier and more efficient with the mash basket vs the spike one.

The pulleys are cheap, maybe $40, and all you need is a $5 eye bolt from whatever hardware store is near you to set it up. I highly recommend it, though unless you're brewing a 10g batch, you can likely easily lift either basket out of the wort by hand, might just need a stepstool depending where you have your kettle sitting.

As far as your pricing comment goes, if you can get the whole system without the spike basket and it ends up being just a couple hundred less, I'm fairly certain my arborfab basket was only like $180 so sounds like you'd still be saving money overall. I personally am very glad I got the mesh basket and would never switch back to the spike basket. There's nothing inherently wrong with the spike basket, it's just that my process is so much easier and more efficient with the mash basket vs the spike one.
I'm looking at the solo 15g that being said. I have a keezer and only plan on filling sixtels kegs or 5g kegs. I hope to take notes so I can repeat the exact brew to make another if needed so I have no intention on brewing more than a 5g batch I guess 6g in fermenter so I'm unsure how much that would be in mash 8g absolute max?.

I'd also want a top to fit flush so I'd have to change the size of your custom basket. I also want a port on the top so I can pump water constantly over top of the mash with a spray nozzle or something so I'd need to figure out a custom lid or I think spike has a basic stainless top made for cip I can probably use

Also eyeballing the cip lid they offer for the solo. I'll need the condenser lid for brewing in garage. I guess if I have that save the money on the cip lid. But trying to figure out a way to recirc during mash

I'm looking at the solo 15g that being said. I have a keezer and only plan on filling sixtels kegs or 5g kegs. I hope to take notes so I can repeat the exact brew to make another if needed so I have no intention on brewing more than a 5g batch I guess 6g in fermenter so I'm unsure how much that would be in mash 8g absolute max?.

I'd also want a top to fit flush so I'd have to change the size of your custom basket. I also want a port on the top so I can pump water constantly over top of the mash with a spray nozzle or something so I'd need to figure out a custom lid or I think spike has a basic stainless top made for cip I can probably use
If you brew and "Big" beers like imperial stouts or imperial IPAs where you're pushing 8% and higher ABV your mash volumes can get into the 12-13g range, so just a heads on there. As far as the top fitting flush, for the mash I really haven't noticed any major issues with mine not fitting flush (besides the appearance of course) so if you don't get the measurements perfect don't sweat it. I can try and find my order and let you know what I requested as far as dimensions go so you can aim to be a slightly lower.

As far as CIP goes, the steam condenser lid has a port for both steam and CIP ball. It's wonderful and I highly recommend it. Recirculating during the mash I just use the Steam Lid and have a TC to 1/2" Female NPT adaptor to screw in my LocLine tubes and then I recirc through those directly into the bed of the mash (instead of on top). I used to recirc on top, but I get much better grain bed "drainage" when I recirc through the middle of the grain bed. To be transparent though, I have a massive whisk that I use to stir my grain bed every 5-10 minutes or so as well so I'm not super worried about recirculation efficiency.

If you brew and "Big" beers like imperial stouts or imperial IPAs where you're pushing 8% and higher ABV your mash volumes can get into the 12-13g range, so just a heads on there. As far as the top fitting flush, for the mash I really haven't noticed any major issues with mine not fitting flush (besides the appearance of course) so if you don't get the measurements perfect don't sweat it. I can try and find my order and let you know what I requested as far as dimensions go so you can aim to be a slightly lower.

As far as CIP goes, the steam condenser lid has a port for both steam and CIP ball. It's wonderful and I highly recommend it. Recirculating during the mash I just use the Steam Lid and have a TC to 1/2" Female NPT adaptor to screw in my LocLine tubes and then I recirc through those directly into the bed of the mash (instead of on top). I used to recirc on top, but I get much better grain bed "drainage" when I recirc through the middle of the grain bed. To be transparent though, I have a massive whisk that I use to stir my grain bed every 5-10 minutes or so as well so I'm not super worried about recirculation efficiency.
So 15g is cutting it close for 8% IPAs. ?I usually drink IPA in 6-7. But nothing says I won't try a 8ish lol. I haven't gotten into stouts or porters. Even DIPA. I can't do to skunky or hoppy. I'm a fan of let's sag. Lagunitas the original lol. That was my first IPA I tried where I was like. I can do this!

So 15g is cutting it close for 8% IPAs. ?I usually drink IPA in 6-7. But nothing says I won't try a 8ish lol. I haven't gotten into stouts or porters. Even DIPA. I can't do to skunky or hoppy. I'm a fan of let's sag. Lagunitas the original lol. That was my first IPA I tried where I was like. I can do this!
I don't want to limit myself that's the point but once and have potential for anything

Just to clarify for future readers, I believe Biggz1313 was saying that if you tend to brew 10 gallon batches of bigger beers often (i.e. 8%), then you'll hit the limitations of the 15 gallon kettle. For 5 gallon batches you can make huge beers.

Just to clarify for future readers, I believe Biggz1313 was saying that if you tend to brew 10 gallon batches of bigger beers often (i.e. 8%), then you'll hit the limitations of the 15 gallon kettle. For 5 gallon batches you can make huge beers.
Yes that's what he means. I just made a 5g suppose to be 9%. I can't double this batch. It's 17lbs just for itself.

Back