Spike kettles vs Blichmann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t4tombo

Reaction score
I'm upgrading, and want to know what to look for in choosing a mash tun. I'm using 2 vessels, the boiler will be Spike, either 10 or 15. Only because of the steam condenser lid. But I'm not sure which one would be best for a mash tun as I've never used either. What are your opinions and when would one work out better than the other.

Both are excellent choices. For uniformity of fittings and look the Spike kettle might be the way to go.

I’ve had two 15g G1 Blichmann kettles for 13-ish years. No complaints. Great kettles that still look almost new w/ a good buff after 300+ batches. I use one for a direct-fire mash w/ the B.E. false bottom and retrofitted the other with a 240V boilcoil a few years ago. So glad I went electric for the boil, and it gives me an option for quickie BIAB’s.

Either way, if you can $wing the 15 gal kettles, you wont regret upsizing.

I've used both.

Both false bottoms flow nicely using slotted designs. The Spike false bottom is substantially heavier and better supported. I have seen older Blich false bottoms with some mild denting/bulges from years of recirculation vacuum pulling the unsupported areas downward a bit.

What are you hoping to get out of the 2-vessel design that you can't get out of a single vessel? It's a pretty big jump in equipment cost and brew day task overhead for very little upside.

What are you hoping to get out of the 2-vessel design that you can't get out of a single vessel? It's a pretty big jump in equipment cost and brew day task overhead for very little upside.
Yes, I noticed the price difference. But I'm upgrading to at least 10 g kettle and i thought lifting a bag out of my 5 g pot sucked. My understanding is you get better clarity with 2 pots and I can upgrade to 3 later on if I decide. Still thinking about it, I may just go single biab. I'm *ok* spending a little extra.

Lifting the bag for a 5-6 gallon batch is not that bad, but no matter what batch size I always recommend an overhead lifting point to make it work very easily with low stress.

A recirculating 2 vessel system is capable of improved wort clarity if you're willing to "pre-vorlauf" the mash before sending it into the kettle loop.

I think the most important focus is just on the level of fiddly involvement with a 2 vessel. Both flows need to be perfectly matched or you can dry fire your kettle element (I'm assuming you're going to be using electric heat). If you've got extra budget, a well designed and constructed single vessel system can be very powerful and simple to run.

Love my 15 gallon custom Spike+ with 5 TC ports (suction, whirlpool, recirc, temp, and element). And the steam condenser lid rocks - not a whisp of steam anywhere! I now never worry about boil-overs for 5 gallon batches either. Great product and outstanding customer support. Skip the 10-gallon size, IMO, for maximum flexibility with 15-gallons.

I think the most important focus is just on the level of fiddly involvement with a 2 vessel. Both flows need to be perfectly matched or you can dry fire your kettle element (I'm assuming you're going to be using electric heat). If you've got extra budget, a well designed and constructed single vessel system can be very powerful and simple to run.
Well that's very impressive. I was looking at the blichmann and spike single setups and what you have is way better.

If you want a two vessel system, just get a blichmann breweasy "classic" or what ever they call it. I've got the 5 gallon one. Was originally going to get a spike solo, but found a breweasy used. I'm kind of glad, as I've heard some gripes about the solo, that I would not want to deal with.
The breweasy has the autosparge, so you really don't need to keep an eye on the levels, or make sure the flows match. That said, you can add autosparge to any mash tun or kettle.
Also, the brewcommander controller is absolutely tits. Automatic step mashes, and you can set the start timer, so you can walk into the brew room, and have hot water ready to go. Knocks a good bit of time off the brewday.
Also, a steam condenser can be added to the blichmann lid pretty easily, and I think they are going to be releasing one soon as well. I added a steam slayer from Brewhardware. Works a treat.
IMG_0149 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Well that's very impressive. I was looking at the blichmann and spike single setups and what you have is way better.
I refitted my old 10 gallon MegaPot based on the Brewhardware design, replacing my 2 vessel KRIMS setup. For me, it's been a brew-day game changer. Simple, compact, a breeze when it comes to cleanup and no detectable sacrifice in beer quality. Highly recommended!

I have a spike solo+ 15g system and I've tweaked it to my liking over the past year. I didn't like the grain basket, so I've since bought a custom all stainless mesh basked from Utah Biodiesel and freaking love it. I also have the stainless false bottom Bobby showed in his video and a brew bag if for whatever reason I need to use that instead of my basket.

I have the spike steam lid, love that as well. I bought the Exchillerator stainless with tri clamp and that thing rocks for chilling. I don't suffer clarity issues at all. I recirc/whirlpool my wort while it's chilling back into the kettle until it's down to roughly 70-75*F and then I let it whirlpool for another 5-10 minutes and let it set for 20. the wort I pull out is crystal clear like what @Bobby_M showed in his video (Thanks for sharing that btw Bobby). I use something similar to this I got on an amazon flash sale for lifting my grain basket ( https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cab...1suQgkI4yeF_Qe4TQHcaAm1OEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds ). I only have a 4 pulley system and it take very little effort to raise the basket so I can imagine that 6 pulley system is even easier.

Happy to answer any questions you may have as well.

Welded fitting vs. not welded fittings, no grungy gaskets or random leaks seems to be a pretty easy decision. Just my 2 cents.

I have my gripes with all manufacturers here and there but for full transparency, Blichmann is finally offering welded TC ports on their kettles. I have no personally seen one up close so I can't vouch for the quality but they don't have to be burdened with the "only weldless" badge any longer.

While I am still brewing on the same system in the video 2 years later (and had 2 years prior as well), I have also brewed on the same kettle with the Spike Solo basket installed (2 brews) as well as a fully mesh basket similar to the Utah Biodiesel/Brewboss (2 brews). I also tried 2 vessel K-RIMS like the BrewEasy (but using the Spike kettle and false bottom), and finally the Spike TRIO 3-vessel HERMS. I allot for the possibility that just about any system can carve a habit groove and anything different immediately feels wrong. Maybe. I just know that I instinctively go back to my bag system when I just want to crank out consistent beers in 4 hours. I don't know how much weight this carries, but I have a pretty wide open brewing space and the ability to buy any of this gear at wholesale prices and it's all a write off. I have no budget constraints in that regard and yet I still pick the single vessel bag system because it hasn't been a compromise in any aspect of my brewing goals.

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts on this, it was very helpful. I'm actually thinking of going biab now, I like Bobby's set up better than the spike solo or breweasy so I'm seriously considering that.

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts on this, it was very helpful. I'm actually thinking of going biab now, I like Bobby's set up better than the spike solo or breweasy so I'm seriously considering that.
Good thinking. Having had both, I can all but guarantee that you'll be happier with an e-BIAB setup vs. a 2-vessel k-RIMS.
BA787596-99A5-4B82-9DBD-2310701E11A5.jpeg
IMG_4604.JPG
CB25FBB5-665B-42A0-8F6A-F7A76F1BFDDC.jpeg

Last edited:
While I am still brewing on the same system in the video 2 years later (and had 2 years prior as well), I have also brewed on the same kettle with the Spike Solo basket installed (2 brews) as well as a fully mesh basket similar to the Utah Biodiesel/Brewboss (2 brews). I also tried 2 vessel K-RIMS like the BrewEasy (but using the Spike kettle and false bottom), and finally the Spike TRIO 3-vessel HERMS. I allot for the possibility that just about any system can carve a habit groove and anything different immediately feels wrong. Maybe. I just know that I instinctively go back to my bag system when I just want to crank out consistent beers in 4 hours. I don't know how much weight this carries, but I have a pretty wide open brewing space and the ability to buy any of this gear at wholesale prices and it's all a write off. I have no budget constraints in that regard and yet I still pick the single vessel bag system because it hasn't been a compromise in any aspect of my brewing goals.

I bought Bobby's eBIAB system as seen in the video he referenced minus the "Steam Slayer" although I had the TC port added when ordering just in case. But I have a window in my brew space/garage I can open and haven't had an issue with steam with just a fan moving air. I've brewed on the system 5 times now and love it. And as mentioned by someone the BrewCommander is "tits". The 24 volt pump is nearly silent. I really don't have the space for a multiple vessel system and didn't really want one, this system is exactly what I wanted. LOVE IT!

Latest posts

Back