Spike (EBS) 50 Amp control panel Displays LLLL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant McKinley

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got my 20 gallon system put together, filled the MLT and turned on the element. I get "LLLL" for the temperature reading on all PID's. Anyone have any idea whats going on? Yes the probes are in and the wiring is connected to each tank and the control panel.

Thanks

LLLL and UUUU errors on temperature controllers can indicate a fault on the temperature line. If you have a multi-meter, you can check the continuity of the wiring to diagnose a broken probe or disconnected wire.

Grant, I had the exact same issue. Check out this post and some of the related ones:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/spike-complete-system.599487/page-4#post-8473092

Ultimately, I found the problem to be the wire from the controller to the XLR. (See Pic 1+2) NEVER WANTING TO WORK ON A HOT BOX, I DISCONNECTED ALL POWER AND THE CIRCUIT BREAKER (JUST IN CASE) and then ran a volt meter between the back of the PID (Pic 1) and the connectors on the XLR (Pic 2), and it was obvious that the problem was in the wire. (Good ones carried a signal, bad one didn't.) The guys at EBS sent me a new wire and an XLR I believe, and I had it up and running in about 15 minutes, with a simple solder of the wire to the XLR. 20 brews and one year later, it is still working. This first pic is at the PID. The wires circled take the signal to the XLR's
Controller in 50A box.jpg

Here's a pic of the XLR's I actually took the XLR's out to solder them, then reattached them to the box. Very easy to do.
IMG_1685_LI.jpg

Now, understand I am not an electrician, and basically have a high school level of experience with a meter and a solder gun. It's not exactly pretty, but it has worked just fine.
If you don't feel comfortable with a meter or a solder gun, see if you can find a friend who does. He/She will be able to figure out where the problem is coming from in about 2 minutes, and do the fix when the wire comes in in about 10 minutes. Bribery with a cup of beer (AFTER the repair) should be enough.
If you don't have a friend, or a friend who can do this, I'm sure you can box it up and send it back. But this was just so much easier doing it myself once I figured it out.
Bill
ier.

Last edited:
I found out that Spike got a batch of temperature probes from China that were wired wrong. I think they read from left to right instead right to left. :) Thanks to the quick response from Electric Brewing Supply, I switch the wiring at each PID from the sensor and everything worked.

Latest posts

Back