Spike CF10 with TC-100 and 5 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auburntsts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those with the Spike CF 10 conical and the TC-100 temp control rig, any feedback on brewing 5 gal batches? I'm thinking about buying a conical and while my target batch size is 5 gal, the CF 10 is just a few dollars more than the CF 5 and would give me added capacity for those times I like to up the batch size. However, it the CF 10 really doesn't do a great job with the smaller batches, the added capacity wouldn't be worth it to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It works, but be aware that you will likely need to swap the thermowell and sample ports so that your probe is well submerged. That means it's harder to sample, but otherwise it works just fine.

I actually installed a blank on the top port, put the thermowell on the next one down, and sample off of the racking valve (attaching the sample valve at the other valve’s outlet).

Back