Spike CF10 - closed transfer without pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialDrHops

Reaction score
My wife got me a CF10 for my birthday and I was so excited to use it I didn't think things through all the way. I brewed up an IPA and got it fermenting when I realized, how am I going to transfer to the keg? It doesn't have extended legs so I think gravity transfer is out and I don't have the pressure gauge/relief valve hookup.

It's on day 11 of fermentation and I usually only let it go as far as 21 days. I could let it go longer I guess if I need to order parts.

Can I still do a pressure transfer at only 2 psi using tubing through the barb on top (which is where I put the blow off tubing)? Other thoughts?

I assume you will transfer out of the port that's just north of the dump valve. Can you just move it to a table or another higher surface, then let it sit for a day to re-settle? Or is it ridiculously heavy? (I'm guessing so...)

I assume you will transfer out of the port that's just north of the dump valve. Can you just move it to a table or another higher surface, then let it sit for a day to re-settle? Or is it ridiculously heavy? (I'm guessing so...)

Uh, no, I don't think you can lift it when full. Besides Spike's instructions saying to never lift when full, I don't think I am strong enough anyways. It's got 11 gallons plus the weight of the conical.

Worse case scenario is I simply open the 1.5" TC connection that has the blow off tube, or maybe the 4" connection to give me more room, and siphon out. Not ideal though.

Can I still do a pressure transfer at only 2 psi using tubing through the barb on top (which is where I put the blow off tubing)? Other thoughts?

Maybe you should give it a try.

This is where I feed CO2 for pressure transfer. Though what I do is more like a gravity transfer with pressure assist. The kegs are below fermentor, and fermentor is on table. The CO2 not only displaces the beer as it is racked, it moves it along faster.

My conicals are older models made by Spike's previous manufacturer, and are not built to take pressure, but if I run over 3 or 4 PSI or so, all it does is leak out top seal some, no harm done. If you have a decent regulator on your CO2, just use that to set pressure, and see if it will push beer out. My guess is it will. If you want to get it started w keg leaning on side, that might help if it does not work w keg upright.

Lay your keg on its side with the gas in port "up". That will get the keg below the fermentor and just a bit of CO2 pressure should work just fine.

edited to add: maybe not all the way on its side, prop it up just a little so you can get it mostly full before hitting the gas port with beer. Also this assumes the beer is not carbonated.

Never, ever put pressure in the fermenter without a relief valve.
Is there any reason to be in a hurry? If not then just order the kit and wait for it to be delivered before transferring.

Just wondering, what do you think will happen if one puts 3 or 4 PSI pressure on a fermentor w/o relief valve? Have done this around 100 times and... I think I'm still here, and have never even spilled a drop, let alone being eviscerated by shrapnel.

Never, ever put pressure in the fermenter without a relief valve.
Is there any reason to be in a hurry? If not then just order the kit and wait for it to be delivered before transferring.

if it were me i would just order the gas manifold and other items needed for closed transfer and if it sits an extra day or 2 so what, then you have the tools to do it the right way. if you dry hopped and absolutely need to get it off the hops then you could use one of these routes. plus having the gas manifold and doing closed transfers is gonna give you a much better final product down the road as well. i have a cf15 and it was one of the best upgrades to the quality of my beer.

cheers

If your gonna get the valve anyways just wait a few more days. I have done numerous transfers with fermenters without prv. As long as its not too much pressure. The hose will pop off way before the fermenter would explode.

Sounds like your wife is a keeper.:yes:
Since you have a conical, dump the trub and treat it like a brite tank. This will give you pleanty of time to get the additional parts to do a close pressure transfer which I do on my CF10. "Relax don't worry, have a homebrew"
Good decision on not trying to move a full CF10.

Thank you all for the responses. I honestly don't think putting 2 psi on the tank without a prv is a big deal, but since I was planning on getting it anyways I will just do it now. I haven't dry hopped yet so I'll just let the yeast clean up and hop later.

I also like the idea of dumping the trub and using it as a brite tank.

So maybe you all can help: what exactly do I need from Spike?
1. Gas manifold bundle with TC connection
2. Sight glass to help with trub dump
3. Ball lock quick connects and tubing and a quick disconnect to connect keg to conical. I probably have these parts lying around.
4. Anything else?

Thank you all for the responses. I honestly don't think putting 2 psi on the tank without a prv is a big deal, but since I was planning on getting it anyways I will just do it now. I haven't dry hopped yet so I'll just let the yeast clean up and hop later.

3. Ball lock quick connects and tubing and a quick disconnect to connect keg to conical. I probably have these parts lying around.
4. Anything else?

I have the following on mine .
Gas manifold , transfer kit ( fv to keg ) , racking arm , extended legs and the bracing shelf .

Get an extra tc and some gaskets , you'll need them .

Thank you all for the responses. I honestly don't think putting 2 psi on the tank without a prv is a big deal,
Unless your regulator decides it's time to break and suddenly pumps CO2 at high pressure into the fermenter making it explode in your face. I know, the probability is low but is it worth risking your physical integrity or even your life for?

4. Anything else?
For the dump, I use a 2” TC to camlock adapter and a short hose to a bucket since the 2” dump valve tends to spray sideways.

For my transfer I connect a hose from the gas port on the keg back to the CF10. Since I cold crash it is easy to see the level in the keg by the condensation. It takes about 15 minutes to fill 1 keg this way.

9FBE388C-2CBA-43E1-8B65-37122B4CF36E.jpeg

For the dump, I use a 2” TC to camlock adapter and a short hose to a bucket since the 2” dump valve tends to spray sideways.

For my transfer I connect a hose from the gas port on the keg back to the CF10. Since I cold crash it is easy to see the level in the keg by the condensation. It takes about 15 minutes to fill 1 keg this way.

View attachment 713307
where did you get that filter? Pretty cool looks like you can gravity transfer through it. Are you able to do this with carbonated beer? Get the CO2 in the keg same as the headspace and then gravity transfer?

where did you get that filter? Pretty cool looks like you can gravity transfer through it. Are you able to do this with carbonated beer? Get the CO2 in the keg same as the headspace and then gravity transfer?
For the filter, I had a Pall SealKleen filter housing laying around and incorporated a bazooka screen filter to it since the SealKleen filters are crazy expensive. I use it because even with cold crashing there were bits of hops that would clog up in the ball lock connector. My filter is a small version of the one offered by Brewers Hardware: 1.5" Tri Clover Compatible Strainer with 3" OD Body from Brewers Hardware

I started out with gravity transfers but I needed to raise my fermentor by 6" to get it above the level of my keg, much easier to do a pressure transfer.
I ferment under pressure and purge my keg with the CO2 generated during fermentation. I only need about 5PSI of CO2 to do my pressure transfers.

I bought the carb stone to carbonate my beer but I was draining my 5# CO2 tank quickly. I do the set and forget method of carbonating with my 20# CO2 tank.

If your gonna get the valve anyways just wait a few more days. I have done numerous transfers with fermenters without prv. As long as its not too much pressure. The hose will pop off way before the fermenter would explode.
Sorry, not a best, or even ok, practice when working with what is effectively a pressure vessel. You don't know what type of tubing he has. Many a sad story includes the phrase "well, that never happened before...".

Lets not get too worried, haha. One would have to try pretty hard to blow up a fermentor w regulated CO2.

Make me wonder if I'm taking my life into my hands when I do closed transfers or spund in C kegs. Fully 2/3 of the thirty kegs I use never did have PRVs, these were all in comercial use for soda syrup. I'll add I used to run a restaurant in the '80s and we had a high volume soda dispenser w C kegs, multiple 20# CO2 tanks, variable regulators for different soda blends, and the like. Never had or even heard of a problem.

Sorry for the rant, and I understand why consumer oriented companies have to "nanny state" and idiot proof all their products, but lets be real. ;}

Sorry, not a best, or even ok, practice when working with what is effectively a pressure vessel. You don't know what type of tubing he has. Many a sad story includes the phrase "well, that never happened before...".

I would imagine a slip on tubing like silicon ect... ive done it multiple times before I got cf5 . Hes talking about going through the blow off tube elbow . The tube will blow off way before anything catastrophic . A prv can be faulty. I would imagine a faulty prv on a fv is more dangerous then a hose slipped onto an airlock stem . Now don't take my post as anti prv because I have one on my cf5 . I'm just saying its more dangerous to cross the street then slip on a hose and push with 2psi .

Back