Spike Brewing V3 Kettle - Adding Port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwb445

Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on purchasing a 15gal Spike Brewing Kettle w/ FB to upgrade my mash tun. I only got 1 coupling for the ball valve (couldn't spend anymore on the custom welds).

I need to add a recirculaton/sparge arm at the top of the kettle. Has anyone drilled into these kettles before? The Spike touts their kettles as being one of the thickest on the market. To me, that sounds like drilling into it won't be much fun.

Anyone with any experience? I've drilled a Bayou Classic, but that is paper compared to SB.

Thanks!

it's the same as drilling any stainless, just takes more time and you will need a lubricant.

take your time, use a punch so your 1/16" drill bit does not wander when drilling your first pilot hole. Then drill the larger hole for the "Knockout punch kit's" center shaft screw. harbor freight has them for about 25 http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-10-pc-60575.html.

You can decide when drilling the hole for the shaft for the knockout punch kit if you need to use it or not. the First time I drilled a pot I had the punch kit handy but just kept going with the step bit since it was doing a fine job on it's own.

Lubricant is there to cool as well, you can use vegetable oil spray, pam, etc without worry.

Good luck!

(I have never drilled a SB kettle, but drilled very thick stainless before (counter), which is much thicker than any spike brewing kettle. if you use a punch kit, feel it before and after as some are good for one hole each, stainless chews them up)

You can also use a 13/16 or 7/8, carbide tipped hole cutter, they make a nice clean hole, and their quick, just watch out for hot shavings. I installed a spincycle whirlpool arm from Bobby in my 30 gal. Spike kettle, and it came out looking clean, only advice I would give is if your installing a whirlpool arm, the closer to the top you drill the more volume you can have without adding a valve.

@crazyeyes I was going to install the spincycle whirlpool arm from Bobby in my 20 gal, did you buy the 14" drop and if so was it long enough, I guess it kind of depends on how high you mounted it in the kettle. If you have a chance it would great to upload a photo as a reference.

Thanks a lot. I have the step bit and am trying to track down a punch - those things are exPensive. I can't determine if the HF punches are conduit or chassis.

I had a hard time drilling my pilot hole in the Bayou. I used a cobalt bit and I could barley get it to grab.

use a punch, don't be scared to put a block of wood on the inside, rest it on a table and give it a whack. then it's just time. Yes, good knockout punches are expensive. but try the step bit, if it's to much of a pain, you can then order the knockout punch. I just like to have any excuse to buy tools.

Back