spiegel fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_

Reaction score
Is there anyone using spiegel fermenter for making kombucha or does anyone see a problem using them
thanks
Kenneth

Spiegel, speidel, what's in a name :)

It should be fine. I have a similar (non-Speidel) fermenter in 30 and in 60 liter. Some people argue that you should never ferment kombucha in plastic, because it might leach chemicals into the brew. If you do want to use plastic, then this (HDPE) is probably the best kind you can use. The nice thing about these fermenters is that they're relatively cheap, lightweight and come in BIG sizes. The only problem I see is that the hole might be a bit small for cleaning.

You'd have to leave the lid off, and cover with a cloth to get oxygen to the scoby. It'd be much cheaper to put a spigot on a food grade bucket, or use a bottling bucket.

The opening looks a little small, I would only put a ~4 gallon batch in there so you maintain a larger surface area.

It'd be much cheaper to put a spigot on a food grade bucket, or use a bottling bucket.

Yes, but they are probably made of Polypropylene (PP), which might be less suitable for sour ferments...

Thanks
next time I am in Santa Cruz I will come by your tap room
Kenneth

Back