Spicing in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgod4520

Reaction score
I started a Belgian Wit about a week and a half ago, and after getting rind from a naval orange and tangelo, I decided on a whim to remove the white part of the peel, cut them up, boil them for a second and then add them directly to the carboy. Now, well into fermentation with the hydrometer reading about 1.020...the sample kind of tasted like Shock Top. It's not terrible, but the orange flavor kind of overwhelms the coriander spiciness of a good Belgian Wit.

Does anybody have any experience putting coriander directly into a carboy? Or maybe boiling a cup of water, straining out the coriander and adding that? It definitely still tastes good, but I wouldn't mind amplifying the spice character just a bit to match the orange flavor.

Well, that white stuff was the pith, and not meant for brewing, or any other human consumption for that matter. It's very strong and bitter.

You can put all the coriander in it you want, but it won't do much in terms of reducing the orange flavor. It might get spicy, yes, but the balance will still likely be way off.

Back