Quantcast

Witbier Spices

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Chillilight

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to brew a (Belgian) Witbier. I got the grain bill figured out but when it comes to the spices (coriander and bitter orange peel) I am a bit unsure. Recipe books say ie. Coriander and Orange Peel FOR LAST 10 MINUTES OF BOIL. Does this mean you only put the spices (ie. in spice bag) for actually only 10 minutes and then remove it or do you leave it in as well during the time to cool down the wort.

Thanks for your help.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
For a given recipe, you'd almost really have to ask the author what they meant. Personally, I don't remove spices at flameout, for Witbiers or for any beers that I spice. I suspect that most people don't.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just dump them in as well in the last 5 minutes . I use 1oz of coriander . I like using the Indian coriander, it has more citrus notes . As for orange peel ive been using McCormicks Valencia orange zest . I think its in a 1.50 oz bottle . Way better then using dried orange peel imo.

schmurf

Reaction score
You might want to have a look at this recently published YouTube clip

OP
C

Chillilight

Reaction score
I just dump them in as well in the last 5 minutes . I use 1oz of coriander . I like using the Indian coriander, it has more citrus notes . As for orange peel ive been using McCormicks Valencia orange zest . I think its in a 1.50 oz bottle . Way better then using dried orange peel imo.
I guess my trouble is the difference between FOR LAST 5 MINUTES vs. AT 5 MINS. So what you are saying is, just add in 5 mins before end, then coll as you normally would (regardless how long the cooling takes)?

mashpaddled

Reaction score
I don't think I've seen any witbier recipes that say to remove the spices after the boil during cooling.

FWIW I only add spices at flameout when the lid goes on for cooling. I don't want to boiloff the delicate flavors of the spices.