Spiced Christmas Dampfbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
I really want to make a Holiday spiced Ale, but I don't want to have to order any grains. So I looked at what I had and wondered what you all thought this beer would taste like? It's basically a Dempfbier recipe with holiday spices added. Thoughts?

Dampfbier Christmas
23-A Specialty Beer
Author: (Pawtucket Patriot)+ Morkin

Size: 5.25*gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 77.0%
Calories: 181.03*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.055 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 8.66 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 5.51% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 16.0 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
9.0*lb Pilsner Malt
3.0*lb Munich TYPE II
1.0*oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0*m
1.0*ea Danstar Munich Wheat Beer
2.0*ea Cinnamon (stick) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m
1.5*tsp Ginger - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m
1.5*tsp Allspice - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m
1.5*tsp Nutmeg (ground) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0*°F
Source Water: 60.0*°F
Elevation: 0.0*m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.20

I'd go easy on the all spice,that stuff is bitter. Dampfbier also has a bubble gum ester from the yeast. Here's a link about the style; Dampfbier
I've been kicking this one around for a few months myself,but the spices would be a new dimension. Teaberry gum flavors anyone?

I'd go easy on the all spice,that stuff is bitter. Dampfbier also has a bubble gum ester from the yeast. Here's a link about the style; Dampfbier
Unfortunately what it says there about Dampfbier isn't true. Ive been to the brewery in the Bayerischer Wald and specifically asked the brewer about the yeast strain. It is most certainly NOT a wheat beer strain that they use, just a normal German top-fermenting strain.

If you try the beer it's pretty obvious from the flavour that no wheat beer yeast has been involved.

Maybe the person doing the site got that info from one or two of them. Since I wasn't there,I can't say personally. I just related the info from them. It does mention at the end that the Bavarian dampfbier is an ale,& the Cali one is a lager. But both are "steam beers".

Back