Spiced brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuf

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm going to take a shot at a spiced holiday brew tomorrow. The recipe includes fresh ginger root, lemon peel and cinnnamon sticks. Question: Should I boil these ingredients for the entire hour? Should I add them after I chill? I'm at a bit of a loss as to what effect boiling would have on these unfamiliar (to me) ingredients. Would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Jpuf

The answer is yes and no.:confused:

It really depends on how powerful or low key you want the flavor to be.

Another factor is when would you like to drink it? If you are planning for this Turkey Day or Christmas then I would have to tell you that you are starting too late...others may disagree, but that's my opinion.;)

Spiced beers require months to mellow out, especially if cinnamon, ginger, or allspice is used.

You could try to "fool" the tongue a bit by using only a quarter of the spices and adding them at the end of the boil if you intend to drink this for this years holidays. The same harshness will be there, just much more subtle.

Plan ahead for next years brews. I always give myself a minimum of 3 months, 6 months would be better.

I have to agree. If you want a good spiced ale for the holidays, you really need to do it in the summer. The one I have on tap was made in Sept. 2005.

But, add everything except the lemon peel to the beginning of the boil and the lemon peel at 5 minutes. If the OG is under 1.60 and you get a fast ferment, you might have something for New Year's.

jpuf said:
Hi Folks,
I'm going to take a shot at a spiced holiday brew tomorrow. The recipe includes fresh ginger root, lemon peel and cinnnamon sticks. Question: Should I boil these ingredients for the entire hour? Should I add them after I chill? I'm at a bit of a loss as to what effect boiling would have on these unfamiliar (to me) ingredients. Would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Jpuf

I make a rosemary lemon ale every year or so. I put the lemon zest and the rosemary in to steep for 15 after the boil.
I haven't used the other two so can't comment on them.

Latest posts

Back