Spice quantities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeaterbait

Reaction score
I have read through quite a few posts and I find lots of talk about coriander, orange peel and ginger but quantities seem to vary a little. So if I could I would like to get thoughts on how much too add.

I am making 1 1/2 gallon batches while I upgrade my equipment, going partial electric :mug:, and I am looking to make a spiced Christmas ale. My muse is Sam Adams Winter Lager.

I was thinking about zesting approx. half an orange and probably grate the ginger to get maybe a teaspoon?

The coriander has me stumped. My town only has a Price Chopper and they didn't seem to have coriander seed, only ground, so I am totally clueless on how much of that to use.

Any thoughts or input would be most appreciated.

I've never used Ginger or Coriander myself, but from using nutmeg and cinnamon in my winter warmer I would say you want to go way lighter than that. A teaspoon of nutmeg and a couple tablespoon of cinnamon was more than enough for 5.5 gallons of wort with my winter warmer, a teaspoon of Ginger for a 1.5 gallon batch is probably going to make the whole thing taste like ginger. With such small batches and with ginger being so strong, I'd start with maybe 1/8th of a teaspoon for the ginger, maybe 1/4th or 1/2 of a teaspoon of coriander, and then ramp up from there.

I agree with Talgrath, I think the most you would want to use is 1/4 teaspoon for that batch size. I would start off with the 1/8 teaspoon first though for the ginger, it is pretty potent. I usually use 1 oz of crushed coriander seeds per 5 gallons, but I have never used ground coriander so I would start off light.

I use a 1/4 teaspoon of fresh crushed Coriander seed per 10 gallons of packaged beer. That's one spice that, depending on where you buy it, can very easily dominate all flavors of a beer. As for orange zest one average sized orange per gallon is a great starting point.

Back