Spent grains recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teebob2000

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm looking for baking recipes for using spent grains (making bread, dog treats, etc). I searched in the forums here but could not find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!
Tom

This is the best site I've found for using up my grain. Made pretzels and several other items from the site and everyone who has tried the results is impressed.

I doubled the recipe for the spent grain pretzel buns to make'em big enough for my pit barbecued cheese burgers. Topped with kosher sea salt;

When I do save the grain i throw some in any bread i'm baking. Then there's the flour making that union rdr turned me on to...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I bought a Mr Coffee burr grinder at Walmart for some 40 bucks. I turn the grind setting all the way over to the finest espresso setting to grind dried spent grains into flour. Then add that to the recipe calling for spent grain flour.

Doubling the spent grain pretzel buns recipe was great for my pit BBQ'd cheese burgers. Wanna make sausage rolls with it some time.

Brewer’s Bread Recipe

3 cups spent grain (wet, straight from the mash tun)
1.25 cups warm water
.25 cups sugar
4-5 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp. salt
1 egg beaten
.25 cups milk
1 packet dry active bakers yeast
Instructions:

Mix yeast water and sugar in a bowl to activate yeast. Allow 30 min for yeast to activate.
Add yeast starter, salt, egg, spent grain, and milk in a bowl and slowly add flour.
Knead dough until it is smooth and no longer sticky.
Place dough in a large greased bowl and cover it with a towel. Wait for dough to rise and double in size then punch down the dough.
Split your dough into the desired amount of loaves and place on a cookie sheet over a thin layer of cornmeal.
Allow loaves to rise again and then score the loaves with a knife.
Bake at 375ºF for 35 minutes or until the bread is desired color and a knife comes out clean after being inserted into the center.

_MG_0011 (3).JPG

That's a rich looking bread! Looks like it'd be good for adding flavors to a BLT.

Rosemary is good. I like lots of garlic. I've also been thinking high temp cheese. You could also put the cooked bacon right into it.

If you're a partial-masher and enjoy brewing anything with flaked wheat/oats, I've great success with making soup.

Toss a 1/2 stick of butter into a pot, a pound or 2 of grains, and 8 cups of beef broth. Done. You can add a can of white beans or some carrots/potatoes, but you don't need it. The 2-row can be a little sharp on the gums, but the wheat/oats soften them while enjoying them on a spoon.

I made these last brew day and my dogs love 'em. I'm tempted to try one. Grains flour eggs and peanut butter. Nothing weird there. My dogs also will eat the grains alone if I'll let them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I try them every time...for consistency sake... They're not bad they are just super dry. Dogs go NUTS for them though

I try them every time...for consistency sake... They're not bad they are just super dry. Dogs go NUTS for them though

I tried one this morning, and the flavour is not bad, but dear god that's a lot of fiber.

Latest posts

Back