Spent Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hernando

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for rolls or bread loaves using their spent grain?

Recipe I stole from somewhere else, the ingredient list is not what I created, but the directions and the last part about the raisins are mine:

Makes two "good sized" loaves.
3 cups of spent grain (wet)
1.5 cups warm (~100 F) water
1 package, or 1 tablespoon dry Bread yeast
1/3 cup sugar (I have used brown sugar and honey, I prefer honey now.)
3-8 cups flour (this number is actually guess-work. You will have to know the feel when the dough is "right")
Dash of salt (optional)

Proof Yeast in a mixture of water and sugar (or sugar substitute). Place spent grains in a large mixer (make sure your mixer has balls. Otherwise, you may have to do the kneading by hand. I have been using a Kitchen Aid Artisan, and it has worked for me.) Add yeast mixture to mixer and slowly mix in some flour until a bread hook is needed. Continue adding flour to the mixer, using the bread hook, until the dough is "just right" (almost no stickiness, some is ok, but not too floury. If too floury, add a very small amount of water and recheck). Place dough ball into a large bowl, cover with a clean towel, place in a warm place (my stove has a pilot light, so I use that), until the dough has risen to about twice it's size. Punch down, and split into 2 even loaves onto a baking sheet (I now apply olive oil to the underside of the loaves, to prevent them from sticking to the baking sheet after cooking), and let those loaves rise to about twice their size. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-45 minutes, or until cooked fully by checking with a toothpick. Let loaves cool off while still on baking sheet before trying to remove, otherwise the bottoms may separate.

I have experimented with this recipe by adding 1.5-2.0 cups of raisins and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon to the dough while kneading, and have had AWESOME results.

No problem, Good luck with it. It makes a nice dense bread, practically a meal in it's self. Some people place the grains in a food processor to break down the husks, but I like to leave them the way they are. I find it adds a nice texture.

I bring a couple loaves into work all the time, and have never had any complaints about it, and have never had any of it last past lunch time.

put a half a cup of 'spent' in the cuisinart, and add to a good sized batch.
that, and a cup of coffe, and .... boy howdie.....

put a half a cup of 'spent' in the cuisinart, and add to a good sized batch.
that, and a cup of coffe, and .... boy howdie.....

Wat?

Maybe I'm too drunk to fully understand what you are talking about. :drunk:

I've also heard of replacing a bit of water with the pre boil wort since the spent grains are a bit bland after the mash. Perhaps half a cup of wort and 1 cup of warm water for the bread recipe above. I haven't tried it yet, but I will on my next batch.

I've gotten into baking bread, originally as a way to use the spent grain from brewing. I tend to just add a half cup to a cup of spent grain to an existing recipe I like, adjusting the water/flour to compensate for how damp the grains are.

After brewing a batch, I'll put some of the spent grain into a gallon ziplock bag, which goes into the freezer - the rest of the grain gets composted (though I keep meaning to start saving some for my friends' chickens as well).

There is a brewery close to me that makes spent grain pizza. Great stuff. No idea on the recipe, but it does exist and is very good. They use it in a thin crust, but because of the grain it is still very hearty.

I'll definitely have to try that after running it through the food processor. If you get to it first, let me know how it turns out. I love a good home made pizza!

My next batch will be an oatmeal stout I think, so I'm not sure what I'll be doing with those grains. I'm thinking about making granola bars by adding some cashews, pecans, coconut, chocolate chips and a bit of pre-boil wort to the spent grains and baking until it sticks together. That should make for a good hiking snack.

I'll definitely have to try that after running it through the food processor. If you get to it first, let me know how it turns out. I love a good home made pizza!

My next batch will be an oatmeal stout I think, so I'm not sure what I'll be doing with those grains. I'm thinking about making granola bars by adding some cashews, pecans, coconut, chocolate chips and a bit of pre-boil wort to the spent grains and baking until it sticks together. That should make for a good hiking snack.

Definitely will do. I usually try to refrain from using my oven during the summer. It turns my house into a sauna, but it's been a while since I made pizza.

Definitely will do. I usually try to refrain from using my oven during the summer. It turns my house into a sauna, but it's been a while since I made pizza.

can always make pizza on the grill if you keep your crust thin. :rockin: So no more excuses:mug:

Latest posts

Back