spent grain recipes - I thought barley husk was indigestible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
seeing recipes for spent-grain bread and other baked goods. Came across a granola recipe that was 50/50 rolled oats and spent grain, plus nuts, fruit etc.

I always though that the husk of a barley seed was indigestible? Isn't it a bit like eating a shell of a walnut? I'm all in favor of more fiber, but it seems it would pass right through you, no?

Isnt that the idea behind insoluble fiber? Its basically a carb you cant digest.

It adds volume but not calories. Something to "ruminate on" , have to admit that there is some calories in my grains as I don't get all the sugars out. But the bulk of the weight is dead.

Something to "ruminate on" , have to admit that there is some calories in my grains as I don't get all the sugars out.

Don't feel like you need to admit something. Nobody does or can get all the sugars out of the grain bed..

It adds volume but not calories. Something to "ruminate on" , have to admit that there is some calories in my grains as I don't get all the sugars out. But the bulk of the weight is dead.

In addition to that the mash extracts primarily soluble starches. Not all the starch or protein content makes it out of the grain because we don't grind to fine flour and not everything is easily soluble. There's still a lot of nutrients in spent grain which is why it is sought out for animal feed.

Latest posts

Back