Spent Grain Flour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I recently ran across a page on making and using spent grain flour. I didn't save the link unfortunately, but you can google it up. The author was using an oven or dehydrator to dry spent grain, then grinding it and using it in baking.

Anybody here doing this? and if so what are you using it in? Bread, pancakes, breading for deep frying, etc.

Also collected yeast would be a candidate for being used in other things. Depending on your process, there are a couple of ways to collect this, as well as to separate it from hops trub. It's full of B vitamins, and has value in blood sugar control, cholesterol control, weight loss. B vitamins are just what the doctor ordered for a hang over. Vegemite and Marmite are two popular spreads made from brewer's yeast.

Here is one link to a recipe for making your own Marmite:

http://www.msmarmitelover.com/2011/04/how-to-make-your-own-marmite.html

H.W.

Never done the drying/remilling part. I find drying spent grain a waste of energy.

I usually save out one or two 3 pound cottage cheese containers of my mash, stick in the fridge for making bread the next day or the next. I use the wet spent grain and mix in enough flour to either make a "pourable" or "kneadable" dough. There's a lot of spent grain in that mix. A wild guess, 70%?

Leaving the containers outside the fridge will allow them to gently sour over a couple days, again, making delicious bread.

If I don't foresee baking anytime soon, I may freeze 1 or 2 containers.

Marmite is simply disgusting.
If I want to drink or eat yeast I have much better resources in the fridge or on the bottom of my kegs.

Never done the drying/remilling part. I find drying spent grain a waste of energy.

I usually save out one or two 3 pound cottage cheese containers of my mash, stick in the fridge for making bread the next day or the next. I use the wet spent grain and mix in enough flour to either make a "pourable" or "kneadable" dough. There's a lot of spent grain in that mix. A wild guess, 70%?

Leaving the containers outside the fridge will allow them to gently sour over a couple days, again, making delicious bread.

If I don't foresee baking anytime soon, I may freeze 1 or 2 containers.

Marmite is simply disgusting.
If I want to drink or eat yeast I have much better resources in the fridge or on the bottom of my kegs.

I've tried vegemite, and had a similar reaction. It's obviously an acquired taste.

H.W.

Back