My Spent Grain Bread Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfly

Reaction score
I winged it on a spent grain recipe and hit gold the first time. It was easy and everyone loved it. This makes 4 round loaves and uses no pans other than a cookie sheet. (I line my pans with one of those silicone Silpats but not necessary) You could also substitute some whole wheat flour but I wanted bread we would actually eat rather than cardboard flavored bread. No reason you couldn't cut this recipe in half but it freezes well so I do four loaves. Bonus: my wife wants me to brew more beer now to make bread, that makes this all worth it. Also sounds like a lot of sugar but it is not a sweet bread.

3 cups warm water
2/3 cups sugar
2 Tbsp. yeast (Dirt cheap at Costco)

Mix these three up and let sit until foamy. Then add:

1/3 cup of oil, I used Costco's cheap blend but any quality cooking oil will do.
2 Tbsp. salt
6 cups wet drained grains

Start adding flour, 13 Cups of unbleached bread flour is what I ended up with so it was no longer sticky. Knead, knead, knead it for 5 minutes and what seems like an eternity on a floured surface.
Let it rise in a bowl until about double in size and punch it down and knead it for a minute or so. Divide it into 4 and shape into round loaves. Cut 3 shallow slits in the top.
70617503_10211959908232688_8576758525689069568_n.jpg
I put 2 loaves per cookie sheet in a warm place to raise again. They might not be doubled in size but are close or are touching each other.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes and lightly browned on top.

Back