Spent grain bagels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
I am very interested in making my own bagels with spent grain. Does anyone have a recipe or anything? Not having too much luck searching myself. Thanks

I am very interested in making my own bagels with spent grain. Does anyone have a recipe or anything? Not having too much luck searching myself. Thanks

Do you have a bagel recipe? Start by swapping out a small amount of flour for the grain. Like 10-25% of the flour first.

Or do you need a basic bagel recipe to start from?

Yeah, you have to take it easy on the spent grain flour. Being barley essentially, It's drier & heavier than wheat flour. So if a recipe uses 4C flour, use no more than 1C spent grain flour. I use my Mr Coffee burr grinder on the finest espresso setting to grind the dried grains into flour. Here's a YouTube video I found. You can sub out the malt syrup though. You can try subing the odd 1/2 cup flour for spent grain flour in this example. Cool that she used Briess LME.
The over-all method reminds me of the spent grain chef recipe for spent grain pretzel buns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back