Speise! Never again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
Used an online calculator to determine a speise volume for my hefe. Added it to the keg and sealed, set aside. All was good.

Holy pressure Batman! Went to tap it last night and the beer line blew off the keg outlet. Sprayed beer all over me and my floor lol. So I bled the keg even more and still a ton of pressure and foam. I dont know the working pressure of a pin lock, but I'd be afraid of a keg bomb.

So I'm thinking a much cooler keg after a couple of days of bleeding the pressure will cure me?

Good thing it wasn't in bottles.

At a minimum you should have monitored the keg pressure, and/or use a spund valve.

Used an online calculator to determine a speise volume for my hefe. Added it to the keg and sealed, set aside. All was good.

Holy pressure Batman! Went to tap it last night and the beer line blew off the keg outlet. Sprayed beer all over me and my floor lol. So I bled the keg even more and still a ton of pressure and foam. I dont know the working pressure of a pin lock, but I'd be afraid of a keg bomb.

So I'm thinking a much cooler keg after a couple of days of bleeding the pressure will cure me?
Sounds you had some fun time!

I followed the online calcs numbers. So either I entered in the wrong information or it's full of crap!

The volume of speise was around 3 liters. Og was 1.048

Sounds like you french fried when you should have pizza'd.

I dont have the numbers in from of me is why I said around, but it was measured with a measuring cup from the cooled wort before adding to the fermenter.

If the OG was off then every single beer ive made since buying a hydrometer and refractomer has been wrong. Which they are not.

The issue I addressed in my OP was not About The over speise, but how to get the pressure down and foam down. The speise issue is done and over.

Tyia

Yeah I think getting the keg cooled down will help. I'd do that before bleeding off any more pressure.
I suppose If it was my keg I'd chill it for 5 days or more, see what happens. Your beer will be fine.

i did this with bottles not too long ago... had three bombs lol i put the others in a mini fridge, they are waaay over carbed i just barely crack the top several times for co2 to ecape before drinking.

So here it is. Its a bit foamy but definitely settling down. Its reinheitsgebot good!
20180616_202645.jpg

Back