Kegland in-line regulator on liquid lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kotanu

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster here - thanks to the folks on this forum for all the great advice that really helped me get off the ground.

A while back, I acquired a kegerator and all the related accessories, primarily for seltzer, and that's working great. For my seltzer setup, I'm running about 38 degrees at 35psi (storage and serving). I plumbed it with Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra tubing since I was consistently getting plastic taste, and after adding 3 mixers to the diptube on my seltzer kegs as per this thread, I get a good pour, even with only ~4 feet of tubing between the keg and the faucet.

With my fizzy water needs met, I wanted to try my hand at making some sodas, but I've been having the expected balancing and foam issues. Recently I made some root beer from an extract kit, force-carbed at 35psi (no yeast). Even with experimenting with lowering the serving pressure and switching to a Perlick flow-control faucet, I was having major issues with foam and flat root beer in the glass. I know my tubing is short (especially for barrier tubing) but I'd really rather not try to fit a spool of 30+ feet of Bev-Seal Ultra in my already tight kegerator to balance that way.

I'd heard good things about the Kegland flow-control ball lock disconnects, since unlike the flow-control faucet, the line would still provide some head pressure to keep the CO2 in solution, but those seem to be perpetually out of stock. Instead, I picked up one of these Kegland in-line regulators - one of the suggested applications is limiting incoming water pressure on a water line, so I figured it should be fine on a 35psi beverage line.

Initial impressions are looking pretty good - I made up another small batch of the root beer in one of my 2-gallon kegs, and after force-carbing it and letting it sit for just a couple days, I'm getting nice slow pours and moderate carbonation in the glass.

Does anyone have any experience with these regulators or concerns about using them for this application on a liquid line? Based on these initial results, it seems like this might be my perfect solution for dispensing highly carbed sodas without a lot of extra fiddling with the CO2 regulator.

Back