Speidel Jacketed Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crooow

Reaction score
One of the things that's kept me from going full conical over the past five years is twiddling with temperature control coils. They look like a pain to clean and deal with. I thought jacketed options were too expensive, until I came across this bad boy today:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/speidel-stainless-jacketed-conical-fermenter-16-gallon-60l.html

..and then I noticed Speidel has even cheaper jacketed option for non-conical fermenters:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/60l-159g-speidel-fermentation-storage-tank-cooling-jacket.html

Has anyone tried either of these? Spike and SS Brewtech get lots of love on this board, but I'm tempted by these options. I have no plans to do yeast harvesting or ferment under pressure. I just want something sanitary that's stainless steel and can do 10 gallon batches.

Those look pretty cool. I would look at those 2 and the other 2 you listed and price it out . Look at all the features each one gives then base your decision on that . I have a spike , which I love but the jacketed fermenters are pretty sweet as well.

Curious crooow what you ended up going with. I'm on the market for stainless conicals and like you, I thought the coils looked cumbersome. I've read that the coils may not be ideal for batch size flexibility, but that the speidel ferms sweat so much you have to put them in shallow washer basins.

Which did you choose?

Curious crooow what you ended up going with. I'm on the market for stainless conicals and like you, I thought the coils looked cumbersome. I've read that the coils may not be ideal for batch size flexibility, but that the speidel ferms sweat so much you have to put them in shallow washer basins.

Which did you choose?

I actually haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm leaning towards a Spike CF-15 at this point just because it's a little more customizable, although I would still prefer jacketed. I think if I had a little more user information about what the Speidel is like to use, I'd consider it more strongly. For example, I thought jacketed fermenters were less likely to sweat. I'd still love to hear someone's experience with one of these things. At this price point, it feels risky.

most jacketed conicals are insulated over the jacket to help with sweating. the 3.5bbl dual jacket conicals I just bought for 2,850 each (for brewpub) are fully insulated to help prevent the seating and energy waste.... When you insulate the speidel to improve functionality dramatically your not really any further ahead cosmetically to a different fermenter with a coolzone jacket or blue discharge hose jacket like I use at home..(or putting them in a tall fridge for that matter).

on the topic of using the grain immediately after milling to prevent oxidation... While I dont necessarily disagree with the science behind this at all, I want to point out that a very large portion of breweries (at least smaller ones without auger systems or even mills of thier own) dont do this. In fact a large numbers of brewers I've spoken to order thier grain premilled in the nanobrewing world of 7bbl or smaller. We usually mill ours the day before or immediately before brewing.
You do have me wondering if bread made with flour that was freshly milled would taste much different than what we normally find.

Last edited:
Back