Speedy Gonzalez Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
So, I might have made an error by stirring in the yeast when I pitched it as well as not properly aerating the wort but ten hours after I added the yeast it started bubbling at a decent rate, about a bubble every second or two. This was on Sat. morning. Today it has slowed down drastically. It's still bubbling at me but only at a rate of a bubble every 15 to 20 seconds. I haven't taken any readings yet, probably going to wait until tomorrow or tuesday, but how fast has any one's brew completely fermented? Am I gonna break a world record?

It doesn't sound like you made any huge errors. It does sound like you had a very active fermentation. It's not uncommon for a healthy (and/or slightly warm) yeast colony to ferment a beer to completion inside 24 hours. That doesn't mean you should bottle immediately. Let it sit for at least a week, use your hydrometer to be sure that it's done, and consider racking it to another fermenter for clearing. Plan on bottling sometime around the end of the month.

+1 to Yuri_Rage's post.

Don't worry, relax and have a beer (homebrew is better)!

I've seen some fermentations take 3 hours to kick off, and some take 3 days. Some took more than a week to ferment, some took only a 1.5 days.

In either case, even if it stops bubbling, let it sit for at least 1 week after visible signs of fermentation stopped, or until you have reached your FG. I usually wait 1 week

According to a lot of brewers on here (and quoting Palmer), in good brewing conditions having the beer sit on the yeast cake for several weeks won't hurt it.

Cheers,
Awfers

I pitched a highly active starter in to a warm batch of Wit a couple of weeks ago (my temp-controlled fridge was full and the wit yeast pkg said it like the warmer range.

Anyhow, the bucket temp was 74F (fermenting closer to 78F-80F I bet) and and the fermentation just RIPPED. There was no "1 second between bubbles", it was constant air blowage.

Finished in 24hrs.

Tasted really nice at bottling; I was surprised and relieved. We'll see how it turns out.

I had a batch of blonde ale completely ferment overnight. The hydrometer #'s were right where they needed to be. Now it's in the secondary. I presume I just had happy yeast. Can't wait to try this one, it tasted so good after the hydrometer reading.

just did my first brew and it was bubbling like a madman not even 24 hours after pitching. its stopped bubbling at 5 days later, but im still gonna wait it out for a little longer.

Back