Specialty Grain Mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jremington90

Reaction score
Yesterday I ordered some grain from a local brewpub in anticipation of brewing an imperial stout this weekend. I ordered 5lbs of each of these 4 grains:

1. Roasted Barley
2. Chocolate Malt
3. CaraVienne
4. Special B

At the brewpub my fiancé and I enjoyed a burger and a delicious Belgian quad while the sound of grains being milled buzzed on. A little bit later my friend brought out a large bag of grains, a single bag. HE MIXED ALL THE GRAINS! So now I have 20lb blend of these 4 grains,

Anyone have an idea of what I should do? I thought if I could blend them together we'll enough I could just use the "Special J" as maybe 20% of the grain bill and the rest 2 row. Any suggestions would especially helpful.

For a 5 gallon batch, Get 8 lbs of 2-row, and add 2 lbs of Special J, hop to your liking, and use some 1056 or WLP001 and see what ya get.

Best part about homebrewing is that sometimes "mistakes" turn out to be the best beer you've ever brewed. :)

Gary

so you're saying that you have 5lbs of roasted barley mixed in there? And Chocolate malt? That is probably enough specialty grains for about 4-5 batches of stout. Did they crush the grains? If not, I would consider mixing them thoroughly, then only using a portion along with some 2-row to use for your batch then save the rest of it for something else. Consider it a "dark roasty beer blend".

edit: didn't read the last part of your post... yes the 20% blend along with 2-row sounds like a good route for this.

Back