Special bitter / use the scraps recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes2xu

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I have two objectives. 1 brew a tasty beer ( dont really care about the style being supper close) 2 use up some of the grain on hand!

So I i k I'm going to base this on the special bitter in brewing clasic styles. It calls for special roast. I'm thinking of swapping that out for biscuit and a little dark crystal. Thoughts?

It uses pale malt as the base which I have, but I would like to swap out a half kilo for golden promise. Thoughts? ( 4-5 k base grain total, 21 l batch)

Dont have any East Kent goldings. . . . I do have willamete.

So like I said, not to worried about it being the same as the OG recipe. Just want to make sure I'm not making any fatal flaws, I'm new to formulating my own recipes etc.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sounds like a tasty brew. Next time I make that recipe, I plan on switching out the EKG bittering for fuggles, which is similar to willamette, so I say go for it! What yeast?

Sounds like a tasty brew. Next time I make that recipe, I plan on switching out the EKG bittering for fuggles, which is similar to willamette, so I say go for it! What yeast?

S-04, I'm not really set up for liquid yeast right now.

Any suggestions on the ratio for swapping the special to biscuit and crystal?

I would use the biscuit for the aromatic (.5 #), keep the crystal the same (.5# ) and possibly bump the base grain a bit to maintain OG

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would use the biscuit for the aromatic (.5 #), keep the crystal the same (.5# ) and possibly bump the base grain a bit to maintain OG

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cheers! I ended up brewing it yesterday, just herd te first satisfactory bubbles through the fridge a hr or so ago lol.

Will let you know how it turns out :)

Back