Spartanburg Stainless "Challenger VI"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSchiltz

Reaction score
So a friend of mine gave me a Spartanburg Stainless "Challenger VI" 5 gal keg with no posts. In its former life it was an emergency eye wash station with different fittings on it. Now I would like to convert it to a ball lock keg so I purchased the Spartanburg/Firestone Type I ball lock posts for various models of Challenger kegs and only the liquid posts fits. The gas post will not thread on. But the liquid post will thread on both liquid and gas. I understand that the gas and liquid posts are different for a reason (so you don't hook them up backwards) but am I stuck buying another liquid post and using two liquid connectors? Or is there another option (adapters with different posts all together?)? I have been searching this issue online for weeks and I am not sure what direction to take now. Please advise.

p.s. he also has a line on more of these kegs in mint condition but fittings and posts cost start making this seem a little less than advantageous.

Thanks,

Darren

You can order Firestone VI keg posts from Brew Master's Warehouse here, $9.99. Sign up to be a preferred customer, and you can get 10% off, search HBT for vendor announcements, and sometimes Ed will have sale promo codes listed.

I did buy the posts for a Challenger VI keg as I stated and the Gas post does not fit. Please read the original post as I explained my issue.

well, you got the right thread size on the one post. does it say what size threads they are? just find the other post in those threads.

you could take the post to a hardware store and find out what size the threads are. then order the other.

I purchased the Spartanburg/Firestone Type I ball lock posts for various models of Challenger kegs [not all] and only the liquid posts fits. The gas post will not thread on.

I know there are many different types of corny kegs out there, but I do find it hard to believe that you have two odd post threads (they differ, but should be within the sizes mentioned later) for a Challenger VI, unless one of them was damaged, and someone used a die to repair it, but I think that there would be obvious signs of damage.

FWIW, I have heard in the past that Challenger VI's can vary from other Firestone versions. All of my kegs are Challenger VI's and FWIW, they all had the little plastic diptubes on the gas side rather than the SS gas dip tubes. That is definitely a difference between some of thr Challenger VI's and other cornies. So FWIW, if you purchased a post that was a Type I Firestone, it may not be correct for the Challenger VI even if the liquid side fit.

Check Out this link: Corny Keg Thread Sizes

This link shows that both posts sizes differ for Challenger VI kegs, meaning that if it fits on the liquid side, it shouldn't fit on the gas side, so if both posts fit on the liquid side more than likely you have:

a. two liquid posts,
b. the wrong size gas post for the gas in.

Also, the gas post will have slots in the threads to show that it is a gas post, so if your post lacks the slots in the threads, it is a liquid post, and you have the wrong part, if it does have the slots, then you have the wrong size threaded post.

Note the difference if Firestone sizes, maybe your Firestone is older, maybe they sent you what they thought was the right post but made an error?

Maybe you have a strage one-of-a-kind keg, that was built on a Monday when someone really didn't want to be at work that day, who knows, but there is a solution I'm sure.

Cheers!:mug:

Time to necro a thread. I have this exact same issue. The out post appears to be a different/coarse thread but both posts will pit on the in port. The out post is a bit loose on the in port but threads on and tightens fine, neither will thread on the out port.

Back